OK to feed these locusts?

TheHound

Arachnoknight
I've had these current locusts a while now - at least a couple of weeks, which is longer than I've managed to keep locusts alive previously.

But the couple I have remaining have started discolour somewhat - you can see it in the picture on the front half of the locust. Its colour has darkened around the front legs and even more so (going almost red) around the head area.

Just wanted to check whether this was a sign of illness with these locusts and whether I should avoid feeding them to my Ts?

If so, what should I do with them? Don't want to just slaughter them, but is it inadvisable to just release them outside?

Attachments

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
These guys tend to develop all sorts of funny colours. For fun, feed them with carrot pieces. They turn orange :).

These are Desert Locusts (Schistocerca gregaria) if I am not mistaken. I use them very often, and had some darker coloured individuals as well. As long as they are not lethargic, I think you're good to go.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
These guys tend to develop all sorts of funny colours. For fun, feed them with carrot pieces. They turn orange :).

These are Desert Locusts (Schistocerca gregaria) if I am not mistaken. I use them very often, and had some darker coloured individuals as well. As long as they are not lethargic, I think you're good to go.
Thanks for the reply. Though I have largely moved them to bespoke commercial food, I have given them bits of carrot and other fresh produce from time to time, so I guess that might explain it.

Actually that brings up another question I've been meaning to ask on here: should I avoid feeding them supermarket veg, given we don't buy organic in general and I guess some of it might have had contact with pesticides, which of course I wouldn't want to pass on to the tarantulas? My wife thinks the amounts would be so microscopic that it wouldn't matter - maybe she's right. She often is. :D

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
I do feed only organic veggies and fruit to my feeder insects. They are readily available in our household, so it's no hassle for me, really. I have heard of many other keepers who don't bother and just feed whatever they find in the fridge. I believe the rule for pesticide use are still more or less the same between mainland EU and the UK. Brexit isn't that long ago ;).

If no organic veggies are available, just give the locusts a few grass blades, if you're reasonably sure that neither you nor your neighbours use pesticides.

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
Don't want to just slaughter them, but is it inadvisable to just release them outside?
Never, EVER, release feeders outside. Whether it be locusts/crickets etc. Most (if not all) of the feeder insects sold are non-native animals.

In regards to feeding supermarket veg - that's fine. I feed my crickets/mealworms etc supermarket bought carrots and such and have never had any issues.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Keeping locusts alive is pretty much like watering grass. They are omnivores and will easily become a nuisance or pest. Do not feed WC food to your animals. And as @Envoirment said you are pretty much beholden to the hobby if not, the law to destroy them if you are finished. Freezing is preferential. You could always freeze them, cut the legs off and fry them up. They almost always taste like nuts. The leg removal is because they are spiny and don't attribute much biomass.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I don’t worry about the vegetables but I also grow a lot of mine and if I have to buy any, I wash it. Also if they are WC, I would quarantine them and many breed a few generations before feeding. Also another way to make money selling feeders

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Yeah I don't know what I was going on about there - of course you can't release them outside, even only several. Just didn't like the idea of slaughtering them, but if I had to, I guess I had to. Sounds like I may still feed these to my Ts, though. And yeah, I know not to feed WC food to anything. Just wasn't sure about the non-organic veg.

My wife put togeth a pretty sweet allotment on our land last summer, so I should have plenty of homegrown stuff then to give to small invertebrates. Though they'll have to get in line behind the guinea pigs.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Always from a store. As mentioned, I know already not to give my Ts any WC food.

I try and be reasonably careful what I give my feeders too, but have given them stuff from the supermarket before that's not organic, though I do wash it. I mostly give them bespoke food now anyway, but thought the colour changes were weird so wanted to get advice before the next feeding day, which is today!

Last edited: