Ok, this is going to hurt for some of you...how do I Euthanize a Roach Colony?

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My current Lobster Roach Colony is now out of hand. The enclosure is too small for th enumbers, the Sumer Conditions have spawned a fruit fly infestation that is actually ggting worse this time around...generally they bloom for a few weeks and then die off when I keep the moisture down.

This year, they wont leave, the frass seems to be holding moisture this year and I dont have the means or need to expand into a larger set-up.

I need to collect a few specimens from the colony and start over, utilizing the same enlosure. My wife wont let me put the enclosure in the freezer, I cant use pesticides since I want to re-use the tank.

I was thinking of buying a block of dry ice and placing it on a platform inside the tank, then closing it off insdie another sealed container. I assume the cold and CO2 would do it quickly and "humanely". My biggest concern is the possibility of the glass breaking due to the cold. I could get another tank, but I dont want to run the risk of any survivors getting out and infesting the house or the ard...Im in Southern California, I cant let them get out, especially this time of year....they'd explode before I have any chance of the winter possibly knocking them out.

Anyway, I was looking for some advice. The conditions re just too far gone to salvage and their use as feeder stock becoming comprimised in my opnion.

elportoed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You could replace the air inside the tank with CO2 (I guess similar to dryice). I think there's a write up somewhere to use yeast and sugar water to create CO2. You can put the bowl of solution in the tank and wait until CO2 replaces the air inside the tank.

You could also drown them with ice cold water, not too humane, but safer than using dry ice.

Another board member burns his excess feeders.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with falk. Sell them by the 100's or 50's, with a generous overcount. It won't waste the food and you could make a few bucks in the process. The 99cent store has some containers that are tall and about 16 ounces that you can fit a good amount in. and most shipping by priority is around 5-10 bucks.

Someone will want them. Outside of that, another co2 way is to buy those cans of computer air dusters. they're pretty potent.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Flood the tank with water, sounds like you don't want to be hassled with selling them off do to the flies and humidity.

You could just keep some and then package the rest up and sell the whole thing including the frass and such too.

RichRollin

Arachnopeon
Regardless of what you do, I wouldnt be to concerned with how humanely it is. These are freaking roaches, after all!

Lighter and a can of hairspray?

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
um...they can hold their breath for about 2hrs.. :)
edit; i should say lobster roaches can do that... as i've tested it.. take them out, and the next day or like a few hours they are alive again.. lol

totally friable though...

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, first I'd recommend selling them.
Otherwise, you can put the lid on the container and dump a whole bottle of rubbing alcohol in. CO2 can be iffy but rubbing alcohol has a 100% kill rate after 1 hour.

Ste Hughes

Arachnopeon
i think its fairly obvious you need more T's to keep up with colony growth

or just stick them in a bag and bury them...

gothra

Arachnopeon
How about just scoop them out and throw in a "pre-sprayed" garbage bag and then quickly spray with insecticide again? I used this method to cut down my dubia colony before.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, first I'd recommend selling them.
Otherwise, you can put the lid on the container and dump a whole bottle of rubbing alcohol in. CO2 can be iffy but rubbing alcohol has a 100% kill rate after 1 hour.
Yup rubbing alcohol. take out what you want and just dump the whole bottle(maybe two) inside. cover with plastic wrap and seal it up.

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you really should just sell them, Or Give them to someone;) and have them pay for shipping. That way you are rid of them and you wont have to worry about killing them.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I took a little acetone and put them all in a bottle. Then sealed it. Next day all dead.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You can easily drown them with soapy water. They will drown very quickly. Non-soapy water doesn't work well.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You can leave them in MY mailbox, I'd be happy! Honestly, my roach colony cannot keep production up with just ONE juvenile bearded dragon!!!!