ok these pedes are scareing me

pediepablo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey I believe I did buy the book from you. Sorry I didn't buy anything else. I was low on cash that day, haha. I had to get the centipede book though. There is some good stuff in there.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I wonder if it's more the fact that they're trying to extract moisture from the fruit, and eat it in the process...

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey Pediepalpo-

ALL sales are much appreciated :D

Mister Internet-

That's certainly possible, but when you consider the way centipedes percieve the world I think it's more likley that they simply recognize something in the fruit they can use and take andvantage of it when they come accross it. We know they'll take pre killed prey and even pieces of meat. I doubt they're able to recognize this type of material as food visually, I assume they're "tasting" it with their antennas. When they bush against a bit of fruit, maybe the sugars appeal to them. We know practically nothing about their wild diet. Fruit may in fact be a regular (if not large) part of the diet of some species. They probably encounter rotten fruit frequently enough exploring the forrest floor. I've mentioned in other threads that I often find centipedes under cow patties. I've always assumed they were drawn their by the moisture or else by the insects that feed on them, but now I have to consider the possibilty they might also nibble on the manure itself!

The million dollar question for we keepers is: "Do they NEED it?" My first thought is "no" since so many keepers obviously don't offer his type of material to their captives. Then again, we've had a lot of mortality reports lately and babies seem difficult to raise to maturity. I'm wondering if fruit supplemention might be something worthy of experimenting with.

Wade

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by genious_gr
Maybe they're looking for a good water-source :? ?? And cause there's so many of them and it was a small piece, it disapeared
I hate it when people dont notice what I write....

scarypoppins

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok i have come to another conclution. well it was feeding time tonight so i thought it would be a good time to test this hole pedes and fruit thing so i cut up a bunch of fruit like banana, apple, grapes kiwi, strawberis and cucumbers i know thats not a fruit but whatever. ok so i mixed them all up and put a teaspoon of the concoction in to a bunch of dixi cups and put them in with all of these pedes

scolopendra mutilans
hong kong giant
moi chow
chinese giant
malaysian rainbow blacktip
hatian giants one about 10 inches and one pedeling
puerto rican giant large and pedeling
scolopendra heros
egyptian tiger
tanz yellow leg
tanz blue ring pedeling

and well lets just say its no secret anymore. every single one was face down in the fruit within 5 minuts. so now we all know that pedes will eat fruit no question about it and i guess vegis to thay are eating the cucumber. now i dont think its a staple part of there diet but but mabye this will somehow lead to centipedes getting bigger , faster and longer lived in captivity, there is also a posability of the fruits and vegis inhancing and even changeing there colors i would think. has anyone else tried the fruit or what i need back up on this. well hope this was a neat discuvery for everyone=D =D =D

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is definately one of the coolest things I have heard in a long time, congratulations Jay! :) I still need to try this with my pedes.

scarypoppins

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanx man ypu should come over here tuesday . thats my next feeding day you can see it first hand so i have some backup

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmmmmm, it is possible, don't think I'm going to school Tuesday. ;P

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
scolo eat fruit; thread resurrection

Hello, i'm resurrecting this thread for two reasons:

1) i read in _Biology of centipedes_ by Lewis a variety of centi species will eat fruit, cake, butter, etc. so i tried feeding S. polymorphas some apple. 3/5 started eating it with in 60 seconds. And if i put a relatively small piece in, some of them ate the whole piece in less than 10 minutes

2) Response (sort of) to bad centi molt threads:
What if they were missing some nutrients from a strictly carnivorous captive diet? I could TOTALLY see them gradually running out of some mineral/nutrient/whatever over a series of molts, and then having a bad molt eventually.