OK, tell me not to do this, I'm weakening...

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have not seen my h. mac in months. I don't think he is molting, he just never, ever comes out. I sooooooo want to irritate him - poke around his hide, let it "rain" a little bit inside his enclosure....I don't know, just to provoke him to come out. Each day the urge become a little stronger......please tell me why this is a bad idea. Well....unless you think I should...:D I am beginning to have nightmares that one day he will come out and be the size of godzilla.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You could justify it with "needing to check it's size", but I would never deliberatley piss of a spider, especially not one with an attitude.. I'm imagining poking my lividum.. *shiver*

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am beginning to have nightmares that one day he will come out and be the size of godzilla.
Would that be a bad thing? You'd become the first worldwide overlord. Er... overlady.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i had the urge to do that with my murinus after she dug herself a hole and seemed to never come out. i was almost convinced the possible risk was worth the reward of making sure she was okay. then one night i go downstairs with my phone as my flashlight for a glass of water and caught her out for a stroll :)

i vote trying to catch your h. mac out in the middle of the night, rather than piss it off personally.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've gotten up during the night many times to try and catch him.....to no avail. I swear he does it on purpose. I just want to see how big he is and how pretty he looks.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Go for it. Checking on him occasionally is a good idea. I've had a few cases where a seemingly reclusive spider was actually a dead spider.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok, that's it. I'm going to go see what he looks like........here kitty, kitty........I will hunt him down right now.

Well, I lifted up the hide and boy does he have himself sealed up in it - a huge mound of webbed up dirt so I just gently put it back down. I did see one leg and it was such a pretty gray. I guess I won't disturb him any more than that. It's just hard knowing you have such a beautiful T but never get to see it, but I will respect his privacy (and now I know he is alive :). Sigh.

Last edited:

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
All you gotta do is just reach in there and..........BAM! {D

Oops, somethin tells me that wouldn't be very funny. :eek:

*slinks away*

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I raised one to MM from a sling, and rarely saw him. I put food in, it disapeared and thats all I needed to satisfy my curiousity about his health.

People with pet holes have to be content with the odd molt or vanishing prey.

If it doesn't come out to parade for you its prolly HAPPY!!!

PIG-

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You here that Paul? My h. mac is HAPPY. :) Yours is running around looking for a good place to hide.....miserable, depressed....searching in vain....

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a Hysterocrates that was a pet hole for two years. I never saw it out, but the hole gradually got larger in diameter, would periodically be closed off then reopened with larger molts being kicked out of the hole. And when I tossed crickets in, some dark force would suddenly yank them down into the hole if they got too close to the edge. Finally I decided it was time to move the beast to a larger cage. Once move it immediately dug another burrow, but now is often lounging just outside the burrow or inside the burrow opening with its legs sticking out. And yes, it has grown a lot.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
I get that from my singapore all the time... I can see her through the side for a split second, then she goes up underneath her log and dissapears. :( It's almost worth the bite just to see her out and about... almost :embarrassed:

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is what's keeping me from getting into Old World T's. There are some awesome-looking OW T's that I'd like to get....... the only problem is I don't really like the pet hole behavior.

Last edited:

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
kathy, would it make you feel better if i took pics of my h. mac for you? lol

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
He came out last night I guess to see what all the movement was. He was pretty but thin. I popped in a roach and he was immediately on it and went back into his hole. But I saw him, YAY.

MIC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I get that from my singapore all the time... I can see her through the side for a split second, then she goes up underneath her log and dissapears. :( It's almost worth the bite just to see her out and about... almost :embarrassed:
I suppose that Ts become more extroversive as they getting olders. My singapore showed such a behavior until her last molt on October 2009 when she reached 6" LS. After that, she is ALWAYS out even when I am opening the lid for regular maintenance and feeding.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not sure what the setup's like but what about tong feeding? Hold a cricket/roach at the top of his burrow, let it reach and grab and pull at his web until he comes up to grab it. Have you tried that?

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not sure what the setup's like but what about tong feeding? Hold a cricket/roach at the top of his burrow, let it reach and grab and pull at his web until he comes up to grab it. Have you tried that?
Sorry about your little Pandora :( . He is in a nice 2.5 gallon tank with a screen cover. He has open space to roam, but not so big he can't find food. I think he is just lazy and waits for it to come to him. I can't tong feed him because he is all webbed up in his hole an no way to reach it. He's fine though, he just ate a bunch. :) Now it will probably be 4 months before I see him again.