Ok im a bit worried

Psycho

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok we own (out of our many rept's)2 Red Headed Agamas,both females and I am super worried.The first is our smallest Agama has a swollen and infected foot on her left side rear (I do squeeze the infection out) I dont know what its from and from what I see its not broken.What do I need to do to help her out with that foot?I am so worried about that foot.

the second thing is...I just had to amputate her middle toe nail on her right rear foot cause she broke it almost all the way off.She dont look real good and I might lose her but what can I do to help her?

oh ya I forgot....We had rocks in the tarranium but I took them out because I think this is how she got hurt and we keep all of our rept's on Lizard litter.And is it normal for them to be so skittish?

~~~Psycho~~~

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Okay, first things first, If the substrate was all rocks, then yes, that may have been what happened with her feet. Or maybe the other female has bitten the one foot that's gotten infected? I suggest you get her to a vet ASAP. Here's a good site to help find a reptile vet near you, arav.org. Herp medicine is still somewhat in the dark ages, so, keep an eye on your vet, and make sure he knows what he's doing. For now, I would put neosporin (the original kind, not the pain relief kind) on the wounds until you get her to the vet. I would also separate the two of them until then to reduce stress on the injured female. And yes, most agamids do tend to be quite skittish.

Bry

Psycho

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well the substrate was not all rocks buy we had rocks for climbing.we use lizard litter and climbing rocks....unfortanatly our Rept. vet is on vacation until august 6th.so for now I really need to take percaussions to help her out.I will be posting day to day updates...

UPDATE: Thursday July 24, 2003 8:00 am

Took her out of her Tarranium and she shows signs of bein active(she crawled on the carpeting pretty quick) and she is alert..
looked at her rear feet and swolling in her right foot is not as intense as past days(but I know she is in pain cause she winces when I touch the tips of her toes).It seems her left foot is ok with no signs of infection.But still paying close attention to it.

~~~Psycho~~~

Last edited:

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you could try cleansing the wound with H2O2 then using some kind of anitbiotic cream to try to control the infection. can you post a pic of the injured foot? could this be an injury from a cage mate?

Psycho

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, a little update. I washed out her foot with just plain water today, and put anti-biotic creme on it. Also I force fed her some water with a little reptocal in it, since she doesn't seem to be eating. I hope she makes it til the 6th. I dont think it would do any good to post a pic of her foot. My camera isn't too good with close up pics. (which is also the reason I cant have anyone help me with sexing my T's.. lol)

~~~Psycho~~~