Ok, I have to vent this...

Leila

Arachnobaron
What she did as not cool and she should be talked to about it so it doesn't occur again.

I a bit confused though. Why, if your wife was picking up someone like this, were you doing cage maintenance and a rehousing? Unless she is staying till the baby hops out why not just wait till she leaves? Baring something being really really wrong they can wait a few days even if they needed a rehouse.

Anyway, I'm glad you T is doing ok after all that. Good luck and congrats on the baby.
Perhaps he had already planned to rehouse prior to his knowledge of the mother-in-law's visit that day. I am also guessing he had never witnessed the lady flinging any of his Ts across the room prior to the aforementioned crap-storm of a visit. (I hope)

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Seriously not cool. I think I personally would have blown a gasket were I in your shoes, thank god I don't have to worry about in-laws. One benefit of being a hermit.

That being said, maybe have a discussion with your wife about the situation and plan ways to avoid this in the future. You got lucky this time, but who knows what could happen next time she visits, which I assume will be soon if your wife's about to have her baby. (Congrats BTW!)

Her behavior was appalling. Her being your MIT makes this situation a bit delicate unfortunately.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
I'm usually against pranks involving Ts, but I can't hep but think of saying "Oh that wasn't the first...and lemme know if you see a big brown one, it darted into the hallway an hour ago." :p

sasker

Arachnoprince
If my mother-in-law would do such a thing? A ban from our home, only to be revoked after giving me a life tarantula of my choice as a token of reconciliation :rage:

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
"typical bible thumper type"

Did you remind her that God loves all creatures?:angelic:
Please, don't confront religious zealots about their ignorance and contradicting views, it will only make you mad. ;)

Last edited:

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
Please, don't confront religious people about their ignorance and contradicting views, it will only make you mad. ;)
With charity, us "religious people"-as others may call us-also keep tarantulas. We don't appeciate the stereotyping or "ignorant" (or perhaps, in this case, "arrogant"?) comments directed coming our way, especially as I have seen on this forum.

Many of us are "educated" and have science degrees, I myself am one of these. And I also keep arachnids. I know many other "religious people" who are also working professionals; definitely not "ignorant" or "contradictory." You should thank us too, since we invented many of the things westerners take for granted (universities, hospitals, modern science, etc.).

The irrational fear of arachnids simply is that, irrational. And it knows no religion, creed, or color.

Lunitar

Arachnoslacker
I would talk it over with your wife. She needs to be 100% on your side and stand up to this behavior. It does not matter what the object is, it is your personal property and she does not respect it. Let her know if it happens again MIL will be shown the door.

It usually takes a nasty scene to let a MIL like that know whose boss. She probably has her husband henpecked to death in a corner and now treats everyone that way. It sounds like you are overdue on "keeping it real" as my wife calls it. Just be sure you have the wifes support prior to dropping the attitude adjustment on her.

She will throw a hissy fit afterwards and lay guilt trips on your wife. If you discuss this in advance with her she will be prepared for it.

I went through a simmilar situation with a ball python. No actual abuse but constant threats.

After some fake tears and failed attempts at guilting my wife she learned to respect our choices and everyone is happy.

Best of luck!

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
I didn't mean to generalize, be sure I usually always try to differentiate, ss generalizing never makes sense.
I edited my post accordingly and of course agree with what you've said, mostly, at least.
The topic of religion is a little too deep to dissect it here I assume.

Edit:
"The irrational fear of arachnids simply is that, irrational. And it knows no religion, creed, or color."
I strongly disagree with that.
Religion is the key factor when it comes to instill people with irrational beliefs and/or fears.
To believe in something without the slightest evidence that supports it's existence is in itself completely irrational. All the quirky contradictions and fantasy stories of the bible, Quran and other 'holy book's aside..

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
Irrational fear of arachnids and other inverts isn't motivated by religion, as you seem to be equating with in your post. It is simply cultural for the most part, as I know plenty of religious and non-religious who have a fear of spiders. Is fear of heights or fear of driving instilled by religion? I don't think so.

Modern science has been stripped down to reductionism, stating that everything is simple and has a rational explanation. We can understand something sure, but I wouldn't call nearly all life-especially arachnids-"simple" animals. We can try to dumb things down, but I wouldn't call an atom "simple." Science offers multiple explanations not a concrete hierarchy as many modern universities love to support.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
She probably has her husband henpecked to death in a corner and now treats everyone that way.
Muahahahah, your example reminds me of Italian political 'moderates': their wife rulez, while they push, silently, the shopping cart at the mall :)

clive 82

Arachnoknight
So I am posting this here given my wife is a member of the T group on Facebook and with her 9 month hormones raging probably wouldn't like me bashing her -edited-ING mother, but I have to get this off my chest and see if anyone else has experienced jackassery to this level before.

So, long story short her mother comes to OUR home to visit, typical bible thumper type, hates the snakes we used to have etc etc. She KNOWS we have Ts, also was told when my wife picked her up AND by me a SECOND time before coming into our home that I was in the middle of doing cage maintenance so there were some in deli cups given a few needed full changes or rehouses done. Again I would like to specify this is in a pre setup area and was told again this time specifying the area given I was working when they walked in. So this said I'm working, my Avic Avic who happens to be my FAVORITE is in his deli cup awaiting his new cage setup and she walks over KNOWING there are Ts in cups. I warn her again that I am about to do a transfer and I don't know if shes thick or what but she looks down to the cup that has been mentioned, pointed out etc and does this scared swat nonsense that sends it into the wall at the speed of a baseball then tries to say its my fault if it dies because I had it out....I let my wife take it from there given I was about to knock the daylights out of this person. By some miracle of providence the T was alright but what if it had been a terrestrial? I am still shocked at her disregard for a living creature...
Sorry to hear that this happened. I'm glad your T was ok, could have been a whole lot worse.
It does make me mad that some people act this way. OK she may have a fear of spiders but if this is the case why go into the room you were working in knowing that your tarantulas were in there?

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
Sounds like something my evil mother would do. Anyone touches my Ts or any of my animals we are having words.
My evil x had my dog put down to spite me after we split up and had the audacity to lie to me and tell me oh I found a good home for her.
I can't forgive people like that.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Ok, sorry for delay, been working alot latley so I will try to awnser everything, let me know if I missed you lol.

Tell her if she hurts or kills one she pay the costs. Then tell her the price of the most expensive female T you can find.

I swear some think of them as worthless bugs. The only way to wake them up is to impact there wallet
Did that, in her words "Thats your fault."

She could have killed one of your pets and you don't even get an apology? That's really messed up. Was it an accident or an "accident"? Either way, I'm sorry that happened.
If you mean noticed it AFTER being warned with it being pointed out prior to approach and then doing a 'suprised' slap across the room, sure?

I a bit confused though. Why, if your wife was picking up someone like this, were you doing cage maintenance and a rehousing? Unless she is staying till the baby hops out why not just wait till she leaves? Baring something being really really wrong they can wait a few days even if they needed a rehouse.

Anyway, I'm glad you T is doing ok after all that. Good luck and congrats on the baby.
First off, Thanks for the congrats! Secondly, I used to have them in North Carolina but we got stationed in KS 3 years ago and I recently got back into them a little while ago, this was her first visit ever with Ts in the house given shes local to KS.

Perhaps he had already planned to rehouse prior to his knowledge of the mother-in-law's visit that day. I am also guessing he had never witnessed the lady flinging any of his Ts across the room prior to the aforementioned crap-storm of a visit. (I hope)
Yes, And See above lol.

That being said, maybe have a discussion with your wife about the situation and plan ways to avoid this in the future. You got lucky this time, but who knows what could happen next time she visits, which I assume will be soon if your wife's about to have her baby. (Congrats BTW!)

Her behavior was appalling. Her being your MIT makes this situation a bit delicate unfortunately.
True, and she knew I was pissed, I have put her in her place before and if she so much as makes a comment now it will happen again. One thing the Army has unfortunately instilled in me is a low tolerance level for jackassery and ignorance lol. Thanks for the congrats!

I'm usually against pranks involving Ts, but I can't hep but think of saying "Oh that wasn't the first...and lemme know if you see a big brown one, it darted into the hallway an hour ago." :p
Didn't have to unfortunately, my P. Irmina has made a habit of running her door and escaped onto the underside of a table while she happen to be nearby...I don't think I have ever seen her fatass run so fast in my life. While it was an accidental escape and I had a few catch cups on standby it served her right, and T was rounded up without any injury or ill effect - this makes escape #2 from her in a short time so she has now been placed on the 'Runner' list, prior to molting she was very complacent. =\

I would talk it over with your wife. She needs to be 100% on your side and stand up to this behavior. It does not matter what the object is, it is your personal property and she does not respect it. Let her know if it happens again MIL will be shown the door.

It usually takes a nasty scene to let a MIL like that know whose boss.
Were figuring out something, though in the future with this sort of barbaric behavior they will not be out if she is around, only issue though is she has a tendency to invite herself to our house for a 'day' and stay 3 or 4 during which time I need to do maintenance.

It does make me mad that some people act this way. OK she may have a fear of spiders but if this is the case why go into the room you were working in knowing that your tarantulas were in there?
If you figure this one out let me know, she does dumb shit like this all the time lol...like we seriously worry about what sort of socially unacceptable thing she will do or say when she talks to people we know lol.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Congrats on the baby.

I'm lucky my mother in law is great. Her only responce to my T's was "not near me please".

My favorite saying for people that act like yours did "you can't fix stupid"....