ok got another imperial moth

worm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i was gazing out the window and noticed another big imperial moth

i know some of you are looking for these so now i have one his wing is kinda messed up but other than that hes big,and furry,and yellow.

wich brings me to the next question i dont know if my girl had posted this question before but our skeleton has not eaten since that last feed of this same similar moth. Im thinking shes just still trying to digest or maybe getting ready to molt but what to you think

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My skeleton's acting flakey too. I got her the same time you did from the same guy.
You'll want to add substrate so she can dig. Also, i'm trying upping the moisture level for mine. She seems to respond well when i mist the strate and the walls but still she is not digging, not eating, not going into the burrow she spent the first week in. They like it pretty moist apparently but not muddy. Have you gotten any of that skeleton 'tude i keep hearing about or does she just sit like a leggy lump?

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well now she sits in her flower pot hide all day and night, refuses food and i think even water. we think she might be pre-molt but its hard to tell. she has a little 'tude but she gives up after a minute or so and does whatever we want :} i was tapping her on the butt one day to get her away from her water bowl so i could clean it and she kept turning in circles in the threat pose trying to get to the pencil. eventually she gave up and just moved out of the way...maybe she got dizzy!

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I know this is a complete diff. species, but I was really worried bout my Cobalt when I got her. At first she was all full of attidude. But when I rehoused her she wouldn't eat drink or burrow, she just sat huddled in the corner and i could stick my hands right next to her and she didn't care one bit. I was worried but then one day I was gone for about six hours and I came home to a shiny brand new spider :D She molted and is a beautiful little girl. SO, I'm just assuming that yours is in premolt, and all will be fine in time, :D

It also could have just been a larger meal for your T, and needs time to re-coup before getting back to it's old self.

Hope that helps some :D
-Courtney

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's a good sign that she's at least in her hide. If you haven't yet, sooner or later you're going to want to deepen the substrate. These guys like to dig. Mine is still acting flakey but has started moving around some since i added a much wider water dish and upped the misting a little.

Also, i wonder if this species just has an efficient metabolism. Maybe they just plain don't eat as much as your typical grammostola or brachy? Mine has never been particularly aggro with prey.

Last edited:

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's a good sign that she's at least in her hide. If you haven't yet, sooner or later you're going to want to deepen the substrate. These guys like to dig. Mine is still acting flakey but has started moving around some since i added a much wider water dish and upped the misting a little.

Also, i wonder if this species just has an efficient metabolism. Maybe they just plain don't eat as much as your typical grammostola or brachy? Mine has never been particularly aggro with prey.
i have a mature female E. murinus. She made an elaborate hide out of her flower pot the first night she was in her new enclosure. She covered the whole entrance to the pot with webbing and hung up peat curtains - leaving only a perfectly round hole. Sometimes her entrance was webbed over and most often at night it as open and i would see a couple of her legs sticking out when she was waiting for a meal to walk by. i often would catch her out early in the mornings and it wasn't long before she webbed up her entire tank. She has since moved all the way downstairs and has quite an elaborate burrow. Luckily i can still see her well. i still catch her out on top in the mornings fairly often. She is a very aggressive eater. That was one of the things i liked about her the most from the time i got her. She is very fast and any cricket who got close to her flower pot was history. She is still an aggressive eater now that she has burrowed to the bottom. It seems like the crickets always migrate down in all my T burrows and she still grabs them fast as lightening. She eats about 4 or 5 medium - large crickets a week. The only time she did not eat was about 2 weeks before she molted. It was a lot of fun fishing out 5 crickets without ruining her burrow but i knew something was up when she didn't immediately eat. Sure enough, within two weeks she molted. This is a really great species. Just make sure you give them plenty of deep substrate for burrowing and i do keep at least part of her substrate damp. Sometimes i pour a little water in on the side because her tank is completely webbed so the water doesn't go anywhere if i just mist it.

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah i plan on deepening the substrate, but right now i can't tell if shes in premolt but i'm guessing she is since she was eating like crazy when i first got her and now she could care less about the cricket that walks over or UNDER her. i'm afraid to change things because i don't want her to get stressed out. i figure i'll wait a couple weeks and if there is no change then i'll redo her enclosure. thanks guys for the imput, this is my first time with this kind of T.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Jules: What are you using for substrate? Also, how moist do you aspire to keep the tank? There's a wide margin, ya know? Do you let it get completely dry before watering again? Do you keep one side somewhat moist at all times? Also, how moist was the substrate when you first introduced the t to the new enclosure?

Something environmental is stressing these guys. Maybe they just like it a little swampier than i thought?