ohio orangeish/red centipedes

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Today while i was outside i found some orangish/redish colored centipedes there about 3-4" in size and really skinny they are eating right now on earthworm, pretty nice looking, so now i got 7 centipedes:)

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Does anyone know a site where i can find Centipedes from ohio with pictures, since the only ones i can find are from OSU and it is like drawn pictures,i'd really like to what species i got since there pretty nice looking, if anyone knows of a site in which i can find centipedes from ohio it would help me alot(already searched the fourms, and did google search maybe i missed somthing)?

oblivion56

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dude,i know what you mean about resources for ohio animals!i grew up in ohio and i could never find squat about the native stuff!

snakehunter

Arachnopeon
We have those in VA too. try a usa search instead of ohio, from what i know about these guys (limited) there arent that many species in the US

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by PapaSmurf
Today while i was outside i found some orangish/redish colored centipedes there about 3-4" in size and really skinny they are eating right now on earthworm, pretty nice looking, so now i got 7 centipedes:)
Lithobia forficatus? (Though this species may be smaller than a few inches and more red than orange) I've seen the pedes you're talking about if they aren't the Lithobia (I've seen Lithobia too) but I don't know the species.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If they're long and skinny with short legs, they're likley "soil centipedes", from the order Geophilomorpha.

Wade