Ohio Exotic Pet Ban Ends

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i didnt even know we had that....but if i decide to get a tiger, which i wont..then its my decision and they wont know about it, and i dont think any government anywhere has a right to tell us what we can and cant own....not aloud to own a whitetailed deer that runs naturally around here, yet you can have a ugly stinky monkey that throws poop and bites...uhhh i hate monkeys:)

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love that thomas comment at the bottom. I guess he is unfamiliar with the part of the constituion that deals with "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah!!!! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna get a plane ticket to Ohio and fulfill my dream of having a lynx! :D{D

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
for all the horrible things our current governator is doing for our state, not renewing this ban was a huge surprise to me.

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wasnt so much having lions and tigers I was worried about. They want to take big reptiles away and once they get that they will go after small reptiles and insects. Part of that whole deal had to do with Peta which is a terrorist organization if you ask me. Not much thought was put into it at all.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ohio is also a fan of BSL isn't it? It is a good thing that the ban on exotics got lifted, lawmakers and politicians need to focus on responsible pet-ownership, and not be so concerned with being 'polite'. Seems like authorities don't like to accuse people of being negligent, so they blame the animals who coincidentally have no voice. This whole deal makes me so angry; a few incompetent idiots screw things up for the rest of the able-minded populace.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
that if it ever happened would be one law that i wouldnt be abbiding by...especially the insects....i do see Peta's point somewhat....look at the videos on their website that shows fur farms here in america, and how they kill the animals is either by smacking their head off the ground, or stepping on their neck and choking them to death...im mean come on a box of 500 .22 shells is like 15 bucks.....and the way the cattle and hogs are hung upside down and their neck is slit, and they bleed to death...its really pathetic....would love to get my hands on some of those people and take em miles back in the woods to places i only know exist.....

wasnt so much having lions and tigers I was worried about. They want to take big reptiles away and once they get that they will go after small reptiles and insects. Part of that whole deal had to do with Peta which is a terrorist organization if you ask me. Not much thought was put into it at all.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually, the deal was with the HSUS, which is worst than PETA if you ask me. At least PETA is up-front about wanting to end all animal ownership, while the HSUS lies and uses their deceptive ads to make people think that they just want to end animal cruelty, even though they DO include animal breeding and ownership in that definition of "cruelty". HSUS also does employ known members of the terrorist organization, ALF, so the terrorism connection is very real, and being funded by well-meaning animal lovers who think that their $19.99 monthly donation is helping homeless and abused animals in shelters.

You are absolutely right about the "trickle-down" effect-when bans against one kind of animal are implemented, this opens the door to adding others. HSUS is clear on one thing-they absolutely want to end ALL ownership and trade in reptiles, regardless of size, whether it's a Burmese Python or a Bearded Dragon, and a ban on "dangerous" reptiles and other "exotics" often does include "venomous" inverts, regardless of whether the venom is of any medical significance to humans or not.

pitbulllady

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

that if it ever happened would be one law that i wouldnt be abbiding by...especially the insects....i do see Peta's point somewhat....look at the videos on their website that shows fur farms here in america, and how they kill the animals is either by smacking their head off the ground, or stepping on their neck and choking them to death...im mean come on a box of 500 .22 shells is like 15 bucks.....and the way the cattle and hogs are hung upside down and their neck is slit, and they bleed to death...its really pathetic....would love to get my hands on some of those people and take em miles back in the woods to places i only know exist.....
With the exception of Kosher butchering and its Muslim equivalent, livestock in US slaughterhouses are always rendered unconscious with the use of a stun bolt before being bled. They do not feel a thing, and even in Kosher slaughter, the immediate loss of blood to the brain from having both carotid arteries and the jugular veins severed simultaneously results in loss of consciousness within less than two seconds.

Fur farm animals are killed using the same technique I've often used to dispatch feeder rats and rabbits, one which severs the first cervical vertebra and kills immediately if properly done, either that or they are put down with CO2, which is how large-scale rodent breeders dispatch rodents for freezing and shipping. PETA has been known to "doctor" videos and to actually pay people to deliberately torture animals; this has already been proven in the case of the "live skinning" videos from China. PETA kills virtually every animal they get their vile hands on, and nothing is below them when it comes to publicity and convincing the public that everyone who makes use of animals and animal products is evil.

pitbulllady

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
not what the peta videos show....the cattle and hogs are screaming like crazy when they knife the jugular

They are supposed to be unconscious or "brain dead" at that point. When done properly, they don't feel a thing.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

yea im not saying that those videos might be put ons, or just ones they came across, but just what i seen on the site.....as a trapper, most of the animals i trap either choke, drown, or i shoot them, then walk to the next traps to give them time to die....i know its sad...but trapping is very fun....i would do it all year long if i could.

Actually, the deal was with the HSUS, which is worst than PETA if you ask me. At least PETA is up-front about wanting to end all animal ownership, while the HSUS lies and uses their deceptive ads to make people think that they just want to end animal cruelty, even though they DO include animal breeding and ownership in that definition of "cruelty". HSUS also does employ known members of the terrorist organization, ALF, so the terrorism connection is very real, and being funded by well-meaning animal lovers who think that their $19.99 monthly donation is helping homeless and abused animals in shelters.

You are absolutely right about the "trickle-down" effect-when bans against one kind of animal are implemented, this opens the door to adding others. HSUS is clear on one thing-they absolutely want to end ALL ownership and trade in reptiles, regardless of size, whether it's a Burmese Python or a Bearded Dragon, and a ban on "dangerous" reptiles and other "exotics" often does include "venomous" inverts, regardless of whether the venom is of any medical significance to humans or not.

pitbulllady

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

With the exception of Kosher butchering and its Muslim equivalent, livestock in US slaughterhouses are always rendered unconscious with the use of a stun bolt before being bled. They do not feel a thing, and even in Kosher slaughter, the immediate loss of blood to the brain from having both carotid arteries and the jugular veins severed simultaneously results in loss of consciousness within less than two seconds.

Fur farm animals are killed using the same technique I've often used to dispatch feeder rats and rabbits, one which severs the first cervical vertebra and kills immediately if properly done, either that or they are put down with CO2, which is how large-scale rodent breeders dispatch rodents for freezing and shipping. PETA has been known to "doctor" videos and to actually pay people to deliberately torture animals; this has already been proven in the case of the "live skinning" videos from China. PETA kills virtually every animal they get their vile hands on, and nothing is below them when it comes to publicity and convincing the public that everyone who makes use of animals and animal products is evil.

pitbulllady

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Now I know most of keep reptiles but we should be worrying about the big cat community as well. I have a friend that keeps big cats and they're going through the same type of media attacks as the reptile community does. Heck, they even had an incredibly biased documentary put out that pretty much attacks big cat owners though the director denies having an agenda. :rolleyes:

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now I know most of keep reptiles but we should be worrying about the big cat community as well. I have a friend that keeps big cats and they're going through the same type of media attacks as the reptile community does. Heck, they even had an incredibly biased documentary put out that pretty much attacks big cat owners though the director denies having an agenda. :rolleyes:
Well, that's partly because of Carole Baskin's hypocritical stance - selling and breeding wild life while keeping it in poor conditions and posing as a "sanctuary" while fighting against keeping exotic animals. She's already tried to get a couple bans approved and I don't know of any that have yet but there could be some. She once complained about how some "big cats" (actually they were sand cats and bobcats) owned by one keeper are being kept in large dog igloos. At the same time, she had "the same igloos in her own pens," they were not ellivated AND they would become flooded with rain water in Florida weather. The shelters were either at ground level or slightly below. One was a large drainage tunnel and it easily became wet and muddy.

There was a lynx that was badly matted around her head because the previous owner de-clawed her and she couldn't properly groom herself. The facility only helped her out with the mats when she had to go to the vet for an unrelated reason. Also, there were three bobcat kittens she claimed were torn from their mother when actually they were just found by a logger. Carole tried to rehabilitate them to be released but they all had died. She claimed they had gotten Parvo from a dog. :wall: Probably got a disease from all the stray domestic cats she allows to roam the property...

She also has a black leopard she claims she rescued when in actuality it was part of her own collection. It's cage isn't even fit for a fox! :rolleyes::wall: There's plenty of documents and receipts in her name on a couple of websites.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, that's partly because of Carole Baskin's hypocritical stance - selling and breeding wild life while keeping it in poor conditions and posing as a "sanctuary" while fighting against keeping exotic animals. She's already tried to get a couple bans approved and I don't know of any that have yet but there could be some. She once complained about how some "big cats" (actually they were sand cats and bobcats) owned by one keeper are being kept in large dog igloos. At the same time, she had "the same igloos in her own pens," they were not ellivated AND they would become flooded with rain water in Florida weather. The shelters were either at ground level or slightly below. One was a large drainage tunnel and it easily became wet and muddy.

There was a lynx that was badly matted around her head because the previous owner de-clawed her and she couldn't properly groom herself. The facility only helped her out with the mats when she had to go to the vet for an unrelated reason. Also, there were three bobcat kittens she claimed were torn from their mother when actually they were just found by a logger. Carole tried to rehabilitate them to be released but they all had died. She claimed they had gotten Parvo from a dog. :wall: Probably got a disease from all the stray domestic cats she allows to roam the property...

She also has a black leopard she claims she rescued when in actuality it was part of her own collection. It's cage isn't even fit for a fox! :rolleyes::wall: There's plenty of documents and receipts in her name on a couple of websites.
:clap::clap: So you know about the sanctimonious scamtuaries! Pretty much all of her animals have some concocted rescue story when most were actually purchased from breeders and from loving homes. Baskin is a cancer on the exotic community but she's not the only one.
Tim Harrison is another big name that causes all these problems. He's a failed big cat owner but because he failed, he makes it is duty to make up a bunch of statistics in order to ban exotics for everyone else. Somehow he's gotten 100s of calls each year when he worked for a town with a population of 9,000. He also counted the number of calls and didn't remove the count of calls (the majority) that were fruitless and no exotics were actually spotted or caught.

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually, the deal was with the HSUS, which is worst than PETA if you ask me.

pitbulllady
You are correct on both counts. I had Peta on the brain because I got into an argument about Peta with animal warden in city I work in the day I made the post. lol