Oh that confusing genus that starts with an "A"! (In this case - genus AND species?)

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A friend sent me this picture. I'm thinking A. aurantiaca. I know it's tough with just a picture. So I guess my question and discussion is this : does aurantiaca have any distinguishable traits besides the yellow bands when a photo is presented as "close" to what aurantiaca looks like? In other words, what on this spider screams "aurantiaca"?

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am by no means an Avic expert, but I think what your friend may have is actually an A. juruensis (Which would make him one lucky son-of-a-female-dog). Those guys are really hard to come by. The reason why I suspect juruensis is the very prominent black triangle on the abdomen. Plus the yellow bands of course.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just googled both those species and I can't tell them apart lol I just wanted to say that that is one nice avic!

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
looks very juruensis to me... ask him if he wants to sell it or trade it off haha

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I'd say juruensis, also. If we're right, congrats- most people search for a long time to acquire one.(Grayzone and I for one)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
At least somebody was lucky enough to find one! As of right now, you (along with one other person) are the only chance at acquiring some in the forseeable future..

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
At least somebody was lucky enough to find one! As of right now, you (along with one other person) are the only chance at acquiring some in the forseeable future..
Yes, wish the male(a couple molts away from mature)and two ladies luck, they have some dates awaiting.

macbaffo

Arachnolord
R: Oh that confusing genus that starts with an "A"! (In this case - genus AND species?)

Great respect for you expert guys that can tell the differences from avics species :beer: :)

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If your plans are for breeding this spider, please be sure of what it is you have. Colors are not necessarily indicative of certain Avicularia.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
If your plans are for breeding this spider, please be sure of what it is you have. Colors are not necessarily indicative of certain Avicularia.
I agree but it sounds like the OP is not the owner.