OH, OH, Ootheca

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
I have a few H schmidti that were allegedly going elswhere.....
I brought these in WC from SE Asia.

One of the lil' buggers has gone and dropped an egg sac. Now what do I do? I have all the maternal instict of the guppys that I once kept that would eat their young as they dropped them! It is a BIG sac as well.....

Perhaps I will get lucky and she'll eat the d*mn thing!

Anyhow I feel some sort of compulsion to see to it that the slings make it....

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
I really don't know what to do with sac.....any ideas? :?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you don't want them, find someone local to take it off your hands. Or you could by little viles to put the slings in and then you can ship them to someone.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She may eat it. She may not.

You can leave it with her for awhile, although unless you want to be digging through her enclosure hunting for spiderlings, I recommend pulling it before they molt out so they're easier to separate.

You can always sell them, trade them, etc. if the sac is viable.

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
I *presuming* that it is safe to leave it with her for a month or so? I am not even sure if I should feed her (well I did so prior to noticing the ball...I noticed it as she was standing tall eating crick over her sac....).

From another one of the Haps I removed what I believe to be a nonviable sac (at present under microscope), thick white silk and bits of yellow waxy looking stuff...

Oh, and here she is.....and an official call to a local (Bay Area) surrogate....

Attachments

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I *presuming* that it is safe to leave it with her for a month or so? I am not even sure if I should feed her (well I did so prior to noticing the ball...I noticed it as she was standing tall eating crick over her sac....).

From another one of the Haps I removed what I believe to be a nonviable sac (at present under microscope), thick white silk and bits of yellow waxy looking stuff...

Oh, and here she is.....and an official call to a local (Bay Area) surrogate....
You sure thats H. schmidti? Doesnt look a thing like mine? How big is she?

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow:eek:

you have two things to think about LOL

1. someone sold you Chilobrachys sp. as H. schmidti

2. Chilobrachys, from what ive read, make phantom eggsac readily if well-fed, so you may have infertile or fertile eggsac, one way to find out

i heard mobile or immobile eggsacs should be left alone for at least a week, greater chance of survival if pulled at 3 weeks and they maybe eggs with legs then you can incubate manually.

goodluck

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
I am not actually certain of much where these are concerned.....they were sold as Hap species....which is more than I get from most of the dealers there. They came in healthy, I am perhaps overindulgent, hence they have all been well fed. There is another that looks ready to pop.

In addition to this sac, there is another probable sac that I removed from one of them....it is sitting on my microscope, stark white silk with bits of yellow stuff.....

She is sitting over a 3½" Petri dish. She is nasty and mean.... I just know she wants to taste man-flesh.....:eek: While I have kept T's for many years, I have never dealt with the nursery situation.