Oh no....I impulse bought today

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I got a phone call from the local pet store today and the guy was making a spider list and he asked if I wanted anything. Well he was going down the list and then I heard it " Indian ornimental" <spelling> I've never had a spider like that but he said it would be about $35 for a 1.5 and I just couldn't pass it up. I've have done the very thing that I frown upon, buying a spider when I don't know it's needs. If anyone could help me out with a caresheet and any other need to know things about this spider it would be greatly appriciated. Thanks, Trey

mischaaussems

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you should find enough on google. Find Poecilotheria regalis or Indian ornamental.

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks, Im so excited about it....

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
im not saying that you arent ready to keep poecilotheria but its very irresponsible imo for dealers to sell these to unexperienced keepers.all it takes is one person who doesnt know what there doing to get bit by one of these and end up in the hosptital and mess things up for everyone.do your reasearch!!

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just wanna know why people buy the T and then decide to research it?

If its a 1.5 inch sling it can live for a while in a 16 oz deli cup with some peat and a piece of bark or some moss to hide in. At that age it may decide to burrow so give it ample substrate. Just remember, these are fast and do have a potent bite. I the bite varying from mildly painful to hospitalizing, but they do seem to be very rare if you take suitable precautions.

I also gotta agree with Syndicate, given the nature of this spider they should make sure someone is ready for the responsibility. The dealer I buy the majority of my T's from has flat out refused to sell ornamentals at shows ot people he felt were irresponsible.

As for caresheets. Caresheets from the web suck 90% of the time. I have seen some good ones, but the majority are impracticle and unncessary.

I am now hoisting myself down from the soapbox.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well...im not going to bash Trey. so he ordered the spider...ie its going to take a day or two to get it in. so...if you really want to get technical he DID begin to do some research before he actually bought it! so stop bashing him and help him out. hes posted quite a few times on here and is not new to keeping spiders.

Trey...keeping Poecilotheria Sp. isnt much different than keeping any other arboreal spider. give it ample humidity, hides, surfaces to climb on. feed it like you would your other slings. a 16 oz. deli cup will be fine for awhile. then move it to a larger one (im sure youve already figured that out on your own) keep it at room temp. or a little warmer if you want ( 75 or so) give it a water dish (though it probly wont use it) and mist every other day, and you should be good to go. congrats on the world of Pokies man! good purchase!

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As I said before I know it wasn't the best thing to do but it's done now and no going back from it. Im doing as much research as I can!

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
and don't worry...If I get bit and have to go to the hospital i'll say it was a black widow so the tarantula hobby has nothing to worry about. But I don't "intend" to get bit!:D

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Don't worry about it Trey. Theres a lot of general knowledge that you already know that applys. All you need to do is a little research to find some of the species specific stuff. You can look at the pic thread too and see how others are being kept. Good luck and enjoy.

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks boss....Im doing as much searching as I can

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
For God's sake lighten up, I'm with GB 04. Congrats Trey, great spiders and they get pretty big. You will do fine. I have bought a couple of mine just by looks. I don't consider myself a professional just a hobbyist. I have 20 and all seem to be doing just fine. I bet you will do a better job of raising the little T than a pet store would anyway. Go get a couple more now.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
im not trying to trash talk u like i said:
im not saying that you arent ready to keep poecilotheria
and don't worry...If I get bit and have to go to the hospital i'll say it was a black widow so the tarantula hobby has nothing to worry about. But I don't "intend" to get bit!:D
that is really stupid.lets say in a rare case u did get bit def tell them what youve been bitten by!plus knowone intends to get bit!

sstellw

Arachnopeon
im not trying to trash talk u like i said:

that is really stupid.lets say in a rare case u did get bit def tell them what youve been bitten by!plus knowone intends to get bit!
Now that's just not true, lol. I once read a thread on here (it's in the bite reports section) of some guy who kept trying to get his pedes to bite him, just to see the effect....But I know what you mean. Never say never! -Sarah

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
haha yes that would be cacoseraph.but most people dont test venom on them selves;)

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
regalis

I have 2 regalis, the larger is a girl about 6 1/2 inch now, and shes pretty even-tempered, sits quietly on her bark while I do maintenance, I just move her and her bark slowly out of my way. But while she was only about 2 inch, I carelessly bumped her during a rehouse attempt, and she was over and under my couch quicker than I could see. So read as much advice as you can before the sling arrives, and keep in mind that a regalis pokie can be fast, as all pokies can be when they want to, so use some caution to avoid an excape and recapture. Regalis, IME, are more of a 'easily startled' pokie, but if provided with a good bark for a hide, will usually just move back into the hide. When out, and relaxing on her bark, they are graceful and very nice display Ts.