Oh No…vember

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Three of tarantulas (slings) died while molting, all within a week.

Birupes simoroxigorum x 2
Phormingochilus akcaya

It rarely happens, like once or twice a year maybe, at least to me it was, until this, I mean what’s the odd…

November, November, oh no… vember.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I mean, I am in the process of losing some of my tarantulas, but definitely not like this…
Weather? I checked the weather past week in LA and they were too dry, with peaks as low as 20% humidity.

I don't know your exact location or climatic conditions, but it could be the cause.

joossa

Arachnobaron
Sorry for your losses. :(

Weather? I checked the weather past week in LA and they were too dry, with peaks as low as 20% humidity.

I don't know your exact location or climatic conditions, but it could be the cause.
I'm in LA County and it's been super dry in my home office where I keep my slings. I've been moistening the sub of my Bracy adults and have been really on top of sub moisture and keeping water dishes full for all my slings.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had 2 or 3 go in about 2.5 weeks. Different reasons among them all.

Pricey loss too for you.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
you have to watch the humidity here during Santa Anas. Any Ts start doing the premolar thing make sure you have moisture. Most folks outside of SoCal don't have any understanding of this, but for us who live here the sub 20% humidity can be bad. Sorry for your loss but remember, flood a corner when you fill a dish this time of year

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Three of tarantulas (slings) died while molting, all within a week.

Birupes simoroxigorum x 2
Phormingochilus akcaya

It rarely happens, like once or twice a year maybe, at least to me it was, until this, I mean what’s the odd…

November, November, oh no… vember.
I grieve with you 😪

The holidays this time of year not only brought you misfortune but I as well.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for all replies.

Though, I know for sure dryness was not the cause here. I already knew these dead slings (when they were still alive) were about to molt, with enough hints they show just right before they molt. I did moisten the one corner, also around the slings.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Maybe one corner wasn't enough for 20% RH, that's too low. If you are using enclosures with plenty of ventilation that moisture couldn't be enough to counteracting the dryness and prevent issues.

My house sometimes could reach 20s on winter if I don't switch the humidifier on, and even fully moisted plants dry in a single day, and that's a lot of moisture to evaporate.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Maybe one corner wasn't enough for 20% RH, that's too low. If you are using enclosures with plenty of ventilation that moisture couldn't be enough to counteracting the dryness and prevent issues.
My house sometimes could reach 20s on winter if I don't switch the humidifier on, and even fully moisted plants dry in a single day, and that's a lot of moisture to evaporate.
right now for one of my snakes I have to humidify his enclose 3x a day. The enclosure holds humidity pretty well but even spraying it down and dampening the sphag I wind up with RH in the 40s and I am running no heat in my home to further dry the air

Dorifto

He who moists xD
right now for one of my snakes I have to humidify his enclose 3x a day. The enclosure holds humidity pretty well but even spraying it down and dampening the sphag I wind up with RH in the 40s and I am running no heat in my home to further dry the air
OMG!

Soon you will look like a shriveled mummy 😂😂😂😂

I wouldn't like and I couldn't live in those conditions for long 😅

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
OMG!

Soon you will look like a shriveled mummy 😂😂😂😂

I wouldn't like and I couldn't live in those conditions for long 😅
and I live 8 minutes from both a Bay and the Ocean. Santa Anas are short lived and seasonal. They would be similar to the European Mistrals but stronger and drier because they cross more desert

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I'm surrounded by water too, I have the ocean just 2km from my home, and a river beneath it, but I still get low 20s sometimes in winter, specially with northern polar drafts.

Spring, summer and autumn no problem 🤣🤣🤣 we have an average of 185 days of rain every year... 😒

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I'm surrounded by water too, I have the ocean just 2km from my home, and a river beneath it, but I still get low 20s sometimes in winter, specially with northern polar drafts.

Spring, summer and autumn no problem 🤣🤣🤣 we have an average of 185 days of rain every year... 😒
Bay of Bisquay yes?