OH great!

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I hear last night my parents found a 6in centipede on there bathroom floor and it freaked them out so they killed it insted of saving it for me:mad: :wall: ... my dad explained it as about 6in long, brown body, and red legs... anyone have any idea of what speices that might be? Also I live in sothern california... I know it's kinda far fetched, but I thought i'd give it a shot cause if there is one, then there must be more!:D

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
why don't you post a picture? it's more helpful to ID the pede.
i know souther california is close to florida.
as far as i know of the coloration and size.. i guess that it's a Scolopendra alternans(florida keys centipede).
but i'm not an expert. only just guessing. take care!
-locke

So I hear last night my parents found a 6in centipede on there bathroom floor and it freaked them out so they killed it insted of saving it for me:mad: :wall: ... my dad explained it as about 6in long, brown body, and red legs... anyone have any idea of what speices that might be? Also I live in sothern california... I know it's kinda far fetched, but I thought i'd give it a shot cause if there is one, then there must be more!:D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Southern California is about 3000 miles from Florida. :p

When I was in the Marines down there at Camp Pendleton I saw those pedes all the time. I finially got them identified........ ill go try and find a picture and Id.

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
california is close to florida,,,according to my worm hole calculations,,:}

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Actually now that I think about it I think Seoul, Korea is closer to Cali, then Cali is to Florida...... thats going to bug me I am going to go check that out. Ok well I was off a little. I guess its almost 4000 miles to Seoul.

Ps: I still cant find a pic that matches the Pedes I have seen that you are decribing.

Last edited:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scolopendra polymorpha?

An ID is hard to make from a picture, and is impossible from a rough description.

Colors are useless when identifying centis.

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
http://www.geocities.com/blight_child/centis/states/cent_CA.html
^that's what we got

polymorpha could be reddish. scolopocryptops are red.
that helps! i know it's almost impossible to ID something from a description, I would have had a pic, but like i said, he killed it.. and idk where the body is. anyways I'll ask him next time he is around here if that is the poor creature that he murdered lol

p.s. BTW, california not even close to flordia... flordia is on the other side of the country :D :D Florida is Tropical while here is more dessert hehe

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh my god.. you are right. california is not close to florida. i was wrong. :confused: :eek:
i thought south carolina as california.. ^^; :cool:
have a good weekend! {D
and hey, caco.. your information is helpful. :razz:
-locke

that helps! i know it's almost impossible to ID something from a description, I would have had a pic, but like i said, he killed it.. and idk where the body is. anyways I'll ask him next time he is around here if that is the poor creature that he murdered lol

p.s. BTW, california not even close to flordia... flordia is on the other side of the country :D :D Florida is Tropical while here is more dessert hehe

aaandyyy5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Im guessing scolopendra polymorpha. I lived in Southern California and saw them all the time. Pictures would make all the difference.

Andy