Oh, Go Bite a Cat!

nolan

Arachnopeon
Swift inverts has a very good selection of aussie t's not too expensive either

Shaka

Arachnopeon
The Taco!

When it comes to venom, don't forget the Heterscodra Maculata, I've read reports on bites from a smaller specimen, but mine is almost 5 inches, I reckon if it nails a cat, goodbye puddytat!

Shaka

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Bites by spiders of the family Theraphosidae in humans and canines

Toxicon 41 (2003) 519–524

Geoffrey K. Isbistera,*, Jamie E. Seymourb, Michael R. Grayc, Robert J. Ravend
Discipline of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Newcastle, Waratah, NSW 2298, Australia School of Tropical Biology, James Cook University, Cairns, Qld, Australia Division of Invertebrate Zoology, Australian Museum, Sydney, NSW, Australia Natural Environment (Research), Queensland Museum, Brisbane, Qld, Australia Received 18 September 2002; accepted 10 December 2002

Abstract
Spiders of the family Theraphosidae occur throughout most tropical regions of the world. There have only been three case
reports of bites by these spiders in Australia. The aim of this study was to describe the clinical effects of bites by Australian
theraphosid spiders in both humans and canines. Cases of spider bite were collected by the authors over the period January
1978–April 2002, either prospectively in a large study of Australian spider bites, or retrospectively from cases reported to the
authors. Subjects were included if they had a definite bite and had collected the spider. The spiders were identified by an expert
arachnologist to genus and species level where possible. There were nine confirmed bites by spiders of the family
Theraphosidae in humans and seven in canines. These included bites by two Selenocosmia spp. and by two Phlogiellus spp. The
nine spider bites in humans did not cause major effects. Local pain was the commonest effect, with severe pain in four of seven
cases where severity of pain was recorded. Puncture marks or bleeding were the next most common effect. In one case the spider
had bitten through the patient’s fingernail. Mild systemic effects occurred in one of nine cases. There were seven bites in dogs
(Phlogellius spp. and Selenocosmia spp.), and in two of these the owner was bitten after the dog. In all seven cases the dog died,
and as rapidly as 0.5–2 h after the bite. This small series of bites by Australian theraphosid spiders gives an indication of the
spectrum of toxicity of these spiders in humans. Bites by these spiders are unlikely to cause major problems in humans. The
study also demonstrates that the venom is far more toxic to canines.
q 2003 Elsevier Science Ltd. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Theraphosid spiders; Selenocosmia spp; Phlogiellus spp; Spider bite; Arachnidism; Canine

jt39565

Arachnoknight
As for the PB Vs taco question is it a soft taco? Is the bread on the sandwhich toasted?I have to know the facts before I can call it.