Official H arizonensis thread

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well i have a heat lamp on and that kills almost all the humidity.... the more dry... the better
I keep mine with a false bottom to provide some moisture. I also use a lamp, so it ends up being bone dry on the surface and slightly moist on the bottom. Works great. ;)

Animalia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep mine with a false bottom to provide some moisture. I also use a lamp, so it ends up being bone dry on the surface and slightly moist on the bottom. Works great. ;)
didnt think about doing that :wall: <---- me, thanks for the idea tho :worship:

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the clay would be a great idea. just be careful not to pack it too tightly or it will be hard for the scorpion to dig in. i would use 70%sand and 30% clay and would keep them bone dry but have a spot that you mist very lightly

John

Animalia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the clay would be a great idea. just be careful not to pack it too tightly or it will be hard for the scorpion to dig in. i would use 70%sand and 30% clay and would keep them bone dry but have a spot that you mist very lightly

John
Ok, thank you oh when you mist normally howmuch do you mist for desert species?

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

John
This is extremely true lol
They say pack it down, but you really don't want to do that w/ a clay mixture. It gets very very hard, had to redo mine by breaking up the mixture w/ a screw driver haha
So you don't want to screw it up because just adding water won't help you get an easy fix either...It gets a little mushy on top but it's so compact that the water can't even seep through. You literally have to smash the substrate bit by bit and add water little by little to loosen it up.
What a pain!

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One of my desert hairys made a nice burrow all along the side of its tank so you could see it. Now when I checked on it, the entrance is completely closed, and the whole tunnel to where its "main chamber" was is filled with sand, it doesn't even look like there was a tunnel there. you can see in the "main chamber" but it is empty, and I think it dug another way, but that tunnel is also completely filled with sand. And I have no idea where it is now.
Is this normal where they block all old tunnels and just keep burrowing?

My other one, hasn't even bothered with burrowing. He just hangs out under his hide.

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Would it be BAD to use Peat Moss for substrate? Its what I use for the rest of my scorps. Seems to work for them.Please don't jump all over me. I'm a newb with Desert Hairy's. :8o :?

Gracilis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dunno about it being "bad" but it wouldn't be recommended... just get a brick of coco fiber and some play sand and it'll be peachy....wont spend more than 8 bucks...

Sunset

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep about 15 of theses guys together, and they don't fight or eat each other. and the reason why they dig a hole so dip is to get out of the heat. the deserts get up to 126F. They all have there little holes to hide in. And I think I have a preg female i caught. But I'm not sure.

Sunset

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have one that the body is all black and everything else is the same color as the normal ones.

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I dunno about it being "bad" but it wouldn't be recommended... just get a brick of coco fiber and some play sand and it'll be peachy....wont spend more than 8 bucks...
Do I have to mix the two? Could the sand be good enough without the Coco Fiber? All I can find on Petsmart.com is "Coco Husk" I really don't have time to shop all over town for the two things. I need to buy em both at the same place.:?

bigdog999

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use straight sand for my H. Spadix and he's fine with it.

offroads537, are you sure that one isn't a H. Spadix.

Gracilis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do I have to mix the two? Could the sand be good enough without the Coco Fiber? All I can find on Petsmart.com is "Coco Husk" I really don't have time to shop all over town for the two things. I need to buy em both at the same place.:?
yea you could just use sand... From what ive read... you never really find a Desert Hairy in sand.. mostly around rocky soil in cactus skeletons.. if you browse the first few pages of this thread you'll see different input...

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just bought some Zoo Med Repti Sand. Says on the bag it works great with Scorpions and Tarantulas. It was $5.99 but I did not want to buy a huge bag of play sand. :?

Gundum151

Arachnopeon
To put it simply, mycosis is a fungus that desert scorps can get when they are kept in to moist or humid conditions. It usually forms on the joints and appendages of the scorp looking like small black spots. A lot of the time this will cause the scorps limbs to fall off, and eventually lead to its death.
ye my male definatly has that on one of his pectines, hes had it since i got him attempted a breeding with the girl last night she literaly got pisst off and started slamming her tail down when he walked away and i dont mean like lil taps i mean she would like jump her back end up and swing it downonto the sand they seem to use noise made with their tales to communicate somehow ( my observations) it was a great spectacle to see tho in the end they lost interest after about an hour and male was removed , also someone said they are an aggressive scorpion , they can be but i got a male and a female and they are perfect gentleman/ladies and "tame" very nice hand pets female only stung me last night cause she was all madd no scorp love for her
Josh

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
From a scientific stand point, since there is so much emphasis placed on types of substates, what would happen if they were placed on pure playsand that was never wettened and packed down? (With just a hide) Shorter life span, too much stress? Interesting to hear what the difference would be.

Would be hard to do any kind of test, as far as life span, since all I ever see are wild caught, and no telling how old they are when captured.

I have taken my enclosure & placed a board inside with numerous wood pieces screwed to it from the underside. They are placed in such a way that there are hollows & burrows under it. I use river loam for my scorpions & my arizonensis. He burrows under them & relandscapes every night. Hes always in a new hide that he made. Kim

Sunset

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the desert hairy and the desert dune are close together right. I couldn't never tell the difference between them I had to look at pictures of the dune and the desert hairy to tell the difference. I thought I has some desert hairys to trade and that's the name i used but at the end i found out that they were desert dune.

One of my dune Sp just gave birth to babies. I would upload a picture but I already post it in different thread and i guess you cant post it twice. does anyone know if there is a care thread on the desert dune.