Official H arizonensis thread

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
its not a good idea to leave the water dish out if you offer it, as even just the ambient moisture with that of the waterdish on top is enough in some cases to cause mycosis. if you offer it, then take it out after the scorpion is done using it.

John

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah thats what i did!...... i know about mycosis being from humidity, but i also know some say they dont even need to drink..and let me tell you s/he drank for an hour. but after that i took the dish out its not even near the cage. im more worried the 20cc of water i give each cacti (theres 2) would cause mycosis more than anything though. i try to avoid the spead of watery soil/sand by insertingthe syringe into the roots of the cacti and squirting a very little amount of water directly under each cacti.

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
any one else have any more setup pics? id like to see more of them honestly.
My H. arizon setup is the bottom right tank (there are 2 males living in a 20-gallon long.). Mix of Excavator sand, regular sand and some walnut shells. Topped off with approx 8 pounds of lightweight red volcanic rock for hide support. Substrate is approx 5-7 inches in depth. However, both scorps are constantly re-terraforming the tank. The tank varies from week to week. I haven't touched it in a year.

One male with an attitude:

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Enclosure

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

It is currently empty, I am planning to purchase one online here once the tank is ready, and am hoping this enclosure is adequate, I packed it tightly with river sand and top soil mixture, couldn't find excavator clay. It seems like it packed really well, will check it again when dried any comments are accepted, he currently has about 6-7 inches of substrate to dig in, I would give more / use a bigger tank but my space is limited. Also if i can find excavator clay I will most probably add it in and stretch the prep time out a bit, not in a rush, so that would make it even deeper til finished.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, thanks again louis! one of the most fascinating scorps i own. and the others i bought are super fast. but im leaning more toward them being a vajovis species....not sure which oneyet butill post some pics of them soon enough as well.

Loudog760

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah no problem. I thought they might of been vajovis sp as well. Have you had any molts? I still have 5 adult I'm trying to get sold or traded.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
can someone please explain how to sex an H.A.? do you have to count pectines?

Gracilis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Temp for Desert Hairy..

does anyone leave their heat lamps on over night? i usually have one side of the tank with the lamp around 85-90 and i turn it off once it gets dark out. but i was wondering if any of you leave yours on all night? only one side of the tank is heated by the lamp...

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was recently at Michaels looking for Bentonite or aluminum silicate clay and I didn't find any. They have modeling clay though, which I did buy and am trying out right now. Will let you guys know if it works.

tryme

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
those pics look so similar to me can somebody point out what the difference is?

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Would the natural humidity of my location affect this scorp much? I live in Northern Michigan and it gets pretty humid here in the summer, and would this have any severe effects on a desert hairy?

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Would the natural humidity of my location affect this scorp much? I live in Northern Michigan and it gets pretty humid here in the summer, and would this have any severe effects on a desert hairy?
ive known people down in arkansas who had problems keeping this species due to the high humidity down there. but unless you are keeping it outside, i dont see any reason why you couldnt put it in a room with a dehumidifier to help reduce the ambient humidity of the room

John

Animalia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello, i was thinking about getting a hairy i was wondering could i use a mixture of like red clay (like they use for putting houses on) with a mixture of sand ??? do you think that would hold up ? (wanting him to be able to burrow)

and how does the getting the soil wet then baking it work ??

thanks for the help

Last edited: