Official H arizonensis thread

deserthairy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it would be very similar concept to having a cobalt tarantula on a loose shallow substrate, or keeping an arboreal animal in a short container. these animals dig, they burrow its what they are built to do. they are not quite as bad as the pet hole tarantulas that never come out, but these animals still love to dig deep burrows. will the scorpion die if not set up this way and placed on loose sand? no probably not, but you will notice that desert hairies are very seldom found in sand dune areas, simply put because they dont care for them. the inability to create a subterrainian dwelling will create stress for the animal, but as to wether or not this stress will lead to an early death, whose to say for sure. people can do whatever they want with their scorpions but if you choose to keep one on loose sand that cannot support burrowing, be aware that you are depriving the animal of a major part of its natural behavior, as well as causing it stress. the real question is that if its not difficult to create the environment that is the best for your animal, then why wouldnt you want to?

John
Thank you John! Wanted to arm myself with a few facts, incase I should try to convice any of the people I know, that just use pure, unwettened sand. Going to print this out just incase, it can help the scorps have a better life.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
John would you mind if I put this up on SF? With credit towards you of course. Or if you have an account you can put it up.
-Eddy

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
John would you mind if I put this up on SF? With credit towards you of course. Or if you have an account you can put it up.
-Eddy
go for it. i havent gotten around to signing up yet, but i will when i get more time. in the meantime, feel free

John

tryme

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've moisted and patted down about 3-4 inches of play sand and was going to let that dry properly then put some loose sand on top. Does this sound ok?

deserthairy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't think so tryme. Will prob. not hold up for burrowing. Might have to add something to it. You can do a search here, and there are tons of "formulas" people use.

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
tryme,

what I typically do with this species is pace several large rocks/ cork bark pieces on the bottom of the container and pour in about 6 inches of said/soil (good ole central Texas dirt...I guess is mostly clay) and soak it. To the point water is standing. Then, I shake the container until the soil packs and put some heat lamps on it to dry. This really packs in the dirt. To the point it is almost hard to the touch. I will place a couple of hides on the top once dry then let the scorpions go. With in a couple or three night I have several burrows to the bottom of the tank. Heavily packed sand will hold up for a while but burrows start to fall apart overtime since these guys are so active. You might want to find something to add to the soil. I've tried peat but I really don't like it. It separates to easily for my taste.

W. Smith

drummindan2007

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What I have found works best is to buy excavator that they sell in pet shops. It is like a dollar a pound. I usually mix half sand / excavator with water and form/pack it the way I want it. Usually about 6-8 inches worth for H. arizonesis. Put a heat lamp over it and let it sit for a day or two.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok well i'm a bit stuck then for the time being :(
it can take a bit of work to set up, but in the long run its better, and i promise you youll be happier with it. i would just use a 70/30 mix of sand and additive free soil, burry some wood and hides, pack down about 6-8 inches as hard as you can, dont really worry about sprinkling any loose sand on top, it should feel pretty hard, and like he said a heat lamp will definitely quicken your drying time

John

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Additive free soil such as topsoil?
that's one option as long as it contains no fertilizers or chemicals. another option is a clay based soil or good ol fashioned peatmoss

tryme

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll see if I can find peat moss but I know 100% I can get topsoil. So 70% sand 30% soil of some sort?

drummindan2007

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
honestly it really doesn't matter what you put on top of the sand. Basically, just make sure you have at least 6 inches of packed down hard sand so that they can dig some sort of burrow. what ever loose substrate you put on top will surely be pushed around until they can dig a solid burrow.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'll see if I can find peat moss but I know 100% I can get topsoil. So 70% sand 30% soil of some sort?
that sounds fine. just make sure its 150% dry all the way through before you drop the scorp in.

John

deserthairy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Always try to learn something everyday. Trying to learn more about the Sonoran desert, since hairies are there. I assume that they would be found in different subdivisions throughout the 100,000 sq. miles, than just the most driest of areas. Was really wanting to check the weather where most would be, out of curiosity, but it's so vast, and diverse. Interesting website regardless.
http://www.desertmuseum.org/desert/sonora.php#nadeserts

Last edited:

tryme

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Would it be possible for somebody to post up male and female pics of desert hairies? (I know you sex them by the "wing" looking things on the under side).

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Would it be possible for somebody to post up male and female pics of desert hairies? (I know you sex them by the "wing" looking things on the under side).
you are reffering to pectines. on many scorpions it is not nearly as easy as it is in emperors, and often times you have to count each tooth on the pectine in order to detrmine sex. i cant remember what the count is for HA's at the momment, but i'll have a look around and see what i can turn up. in the meantime i would suggest you try doing a search for "sexing hadrurus"

john