Off to college, wondering if anyone kind would care for my T's? : /

MD92

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey guys. Yeah, off to college within the next few weeks and I've put it of for awhile (D'oh) but it should probably be discussed. I have many slings, some juvies and two adults who need care. Preferably someone experienced with a good reputation from my area (Long Island, NY) who would be willing to care for them. Can anyone refer me to anyone?

QuantumGears

Arachnopeon
Why not take them with you? Are you living in a dorm? Not many dorms allow pets but, what they don't know won't hurt them right? If your roommate is okay with it, then I would definitely do it as long as you don't have like 50 tarantulas.

I'm in college and I stay in a dorm. My roommate is okay with my tarantula. I have her on my dresser in my closet. If I know someones going to be in my room like a R.A., I just close my closet. It's just important to not let too many people know you have them there. :D

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Why not take them with you? Are you living in a dorm? Not many dorms allow pets but, what they don't know won't hurt them right? If your roommate is okay with it, then I would definitely do it as long as you don't have like 50 tarantulas.

I'm in college and I stay in a dorm. My roommate is okay with my tarantula. I have her on my dresser in my closet. If I know someones going to be in my room like a R.A., I just close my closet. It's just important to not let too many people know you have them there. :D
I really wouldn't recommend this. When my husband was in college he had a baby ball python. He kept her set up in his closet, only his roommate knew and was fine with it, however accidently told someone who hated snakes and they told someone in charge. They did an "inspection" unannounced and took the snake. They also took his roommates pet that was also set up in the closet (I believe some kind of lizard, can't remember.)

QuantumGears

Arachnopeon
I really wouldn't recommend this. When my husband was in college he had a baby ball python. He kept her set up in his closet, only his roommate knew and was fine with it, however accidently told someone who hated snakes and they told someone in charge. They did an "inspection" unannounced and took the snake. They also took his roommates pet that was also set up in the closet (I believe some kind of lizard, can't remember.)
Well, it might be the college he went to. I was an R.A. at a previous university, before the one I'm in now, and we weren't allowed to do "room inspections". If it was left out in the open, then it was fair game, but we had to be invited in. We were not allowed to have access to their rooms without permission. University police could access rooms without permission, but only if there is a suspicion of illegal contraband. Also we could not remove items from the room unless they were illegal and in plain sight.

This is why I said to make sure his roommate was okay with it as well as to keep it secret. If he didn't trust his roommate or his roommate wasn't fine with it, then its obviously not going to happen.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Well, it might be the college he went to. I was an R.A. at a previous university, before the one I'm in now, and we weren't allowed to do "room inspections". If it was left out in the open, then it was fair game. Also, we were not allowed to have access to their rooms without permission. University police could access rooms without permission, but only if there is a suspicion of illegal contraband.
True, but technically they had reason to go in. They just didn't tell them. Someone told on them, and they were breaking the rules, therefore there actually was a reason to inspect. I'm just saying, it's really not worth risking it if the OP can find someone willing to take care of them.

They never did tell my husband or his roommate what they did with their pets, I can only imagine.

QuantumGears

Arachnopeon
True, but technically they had reason to go in. They just didn't tell them. Someone told on them, and they were breaking the rules, therefore there actually was a reason to inspect. I'm just saying, it's really not worth risking it if the OP can find someone willing to take care of them.

They never did tell my husband or his roommate what they did with their pets, I can only imagine.
That's unfortunate and, I don't know the laws in the location where it may have happened or the housing agreement he may have signed but to my knowledge it would probably be illegal to take and dispose of pets without the owners knowledge or consent.

There is another thread on this somewhere, where they were found out because they kept them in the open, and were subsequently asked to remove them, but they were not taken.

Its up to the OP, but I personally would take them with me. I do understand that im in a fortunate circumstance where my roommate is tight lipped and doesn't mind them.

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
do u expect the T's back? honestly u could sell them and get a little bit of cash for school (im in school too :) and have T's) or wait till u get an aparment,( un less ur school says freshmen need to live in dorms) what ever ur choice put the T's well being first.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Off to college huh.. means you won't be back anytime soon...
I'd sell them, sad as that probably sounds to ya..
If you have a favorite keep that or leave it @ home with whoever stays there...
but a whole collection?
I'd raise that money you're going to need for books. :}

Arachnethegreek

Arachnopeon
Ditto on the selling, an expansive collection of t's plus a dorm setting just equals bad news (I know from experience :(. Plus the idea of raising money for books is also a silver lining. It would just really suck if you asked someone to take care of them and they tries to charge for the service, or if you brought them with you and had them all "confiscated" but all in all it is your decision