Oddball geniculata?

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I got a 3.5" F A.geniculata last Wednesday and for the past week she hasn't ventured out of her hidey log. Not once (as far as I've seen). The first night, I could tell she got a drink, pooped in the water dish ( :rolleyes: ), and shifted some substrate around. But since then, nothing. She just sits in her log waiting for food to come, and she's eating great (3 crickets in 3 days; they were small in size, which is why I fed that many in that short timespan). So I know it's not premolt. I bought her because I was told geniculatas are usually out in the open, so I wanted a nice display T. But she won't even come out when I do tank maintenance; she ignores the water as I pour it in (and I thought genics liked to attack it). {D

I wanted a great display T, but all she does is wait in that log for stupid crickets to stumble in. <sarcasm> I'm starting to think she's stuck. :rolleyes: </sarcasm>
Is this normal behavior for a new environment? I expected her to explore a little more than she has already. And I'd like to watch her eat out in the open, not in that dark abyss.
Any feedback is appreciated. Sorry if this has been brought up before; I searched first and found nothing.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a few genics, once they are adults ( as a rule ) they are usually right out in the open....they generally dont hide....

Regards, Mike

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I have a few genics, once they are adults ( as a rule ) they are usually right out in the open....they generally dont hide....

Regards, Mike
So when she gets older, she'll get out more? That's a relief. ^^

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Give her time to settle in. My genic was only 1" when I got it, and it did the same thing for a couple of weeks. Since then, it is almost always out in the open, it has even molted out in the open. I has a hide, and a burrow it dug under it, but it almost never uses it. It's now around 2.5" or so.

Iggy

Arachnopeon
Just give it some time to get used to its surroundings. Mine was shy at first and now is always out and the last 3 molts have been out in the open which made watching easy!

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had one a year or two back, and she was almost always out in the open.

-Matty

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a 2" to 2-1/2" genic and I have only once seen her in her hide within the month and a half I've had her. I have read where others say their A. geniculata never uses a hide either, but some say they do. I guess it just all comes back to the individuality of the spider.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sooo funny you posted this topic; I was just about to post about the exact same thing. I got my A. Genic in the mail yesterday, and she immediately went into her hide and has basically stayed there the whole time. She has come out once briefly to grab a cricket, and darted right back in.

She has taken all of the dirt out of the hide and moved it around so that it blocks the door and the "window"....

I was also under the impression that she would be out and about most of the time.....

Here's a pic of her dirt mountain....

Last edited:

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Let me do you a favour and tell you now, so you don't have to ask later: Yes, your H. Lividum that you'll eventually buy is a burrower, and yes, five minutes after you put it in its new home it STILL hasn't burrowed. In fact it might be sitting in the cealing. But it will. Give it time. 5 days, five weeks. It will burrow. Relax.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Let me do you a favour and tell you now, so you don't have to ask later: Yes, your H. Lividum that you'll eventually buy is a burrower, and yes, five minutes after you put it in its new home it STILL hasn't burrowed. In fact it might be sitting in the cealing. But it will. Give it time. 5 days, five weeks. It will burrow. Relax.
Well if that's directed to me... me, getting an H.lividum. Hah. xD Well I wasn't planning on it, but thanks for the tip? I think? :p

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I thought about writing it, but I think monitormonster made actually do it.

It's like:

omg whut is dis, I thought cats liked to lie and sleep in teh windows and look qut n stuff you knoe?!! But I gotz dis cat from teh shelter a couple hours ago but its pacinga round mjauing and not sleeping in the window at all wuts wrong wit it?!¤=# :8o :( :( :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

See I don't want to be an ass about it, I know as a newbie T owner you get paaaraaanoid about everything and keeps staring at that hole that contains your spider freaks out if it doesn't eat every ten seconds. Belive me, I've bothered my fair share of experienced owners. I'm starting to settle down now though, and after seeing a bazzillion of threads like this one, I kinda just...pointed it out :eek:

Peace man, have a good one.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, I thought about writing it, but I think monitormonster made actually do it.

It's like:

omg whut is dis, I thought cats liked to lie and sleep in teh windows and look qut n stuff you knoe?!! But I gotz dis cat from teh shelter a couple hours ago but its pacinga round mjauing and not sleeping in the window at all wuts wrong wit it?!¤=# :8o :( :( :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

See I don't want to be an ass about it, I know as a newbie T owner you get paaaraaanoid about everything and keeps staring at that hole that contains your spider freaks out if it doesn't eat every ten seconds. Belive me, I've bothered my fair share of experienced owners. I'm starting to settle down now though, and after seeing a bazzillion of threads like this one, I kinda just...pointed it out :eek:

Peace man, have a good one.
I am confused about that entire post....*scratches head*