Odd things your T does...

eporter

Arachnopeon
If this topic has come up before don't hurt me :8o I havn't been on the site that long. lol. buutttt because this was the chat area i thought i would ask what is the oddest (NOT in like they are ill) behavior they have been seen doing.

Like my rosea likes to sun bath. his cage is at a comfy 75-80 degrees but he likes to stretch out to his fullest and sit under the heat lamp, he sometimes stretches up like a cat on his tiptoes, changes position slightly and then deflates back down to the ground and goes back to sitting under the heat.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
One of my roseas does a food dance... He does a little circular turn type thing, then catches his food and spins as he eats... {D Too cute!

Oh, and my OBT likes to tear down her own web tunnels... She made a nice one the other day, and the next day, she'd destroyed it and moved to the other side of the tank. {D

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
My G. pulchra "Dozer" spends hours dragging substrate into her hide then a few days later she drags it all out again and rolls it into balls about the size of a dime. Not sure why she does this but its how she got her name.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
^ Quite awhile back I named my G.p. #7 Dozer for the same exact reason. ;)

ranglo211

Arachnopeon
My b.smithi waves at you with one leg (circular motion).. my chaco goes up to the heat lamp like an eskimo tryin to get warm, my gbb walks back n fourth like a soldier on duty, my asian fawn likes to play dead!

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my bohemei likes to come out in the morning and chill where the sun hits his cage, usually on top of his hide, like "hey, you're awake... so am i!" he usually does that and stays there most of the day, only to go in his hide right around the time i go to sleep.

i also noticed that if i stay up late and the lights are on he starts climbing around his cage, but thats usually the only time he does it. he's the only T i have that keeps a schedule similar to mine :p

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My two C. marshalli slings will catch their food in their little web tunnels, then bring it out and parade it around like they want to show it off. It's SUPER cute.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My Avic. does this little dance before she catches food. She stretches out really long and sorta does a side step a few times then she leaps on them with appropriate viciousness. (She has the appetite of a spider ten times her size)

Suzjohnson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Stinky, my Brachy. albopilosum, spends the last couple of hours of roach eating over the water dish with part of the roach actually in the water. She leaves the bolus there, naturally! :wall: Doesn't do it with crickets though.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If this topic has come up before don't hurt me :8o I havn't been on the site that long. lol. buutttt because this was the chat area i thought i would ask what is the oddest (NOT in like they are ill) behavior they have been seen doing.

Like my rosea likes to sun bath. his cage is at a comfy 75-80 degrees but he likes to stretch out to his fullest and sit under the heat lamp, he sometimes stretches up like a cat on his tiptoes, changes position slightly and then deflates back down to the ground and goes back to sitting under the heat.
Aaah! Another sun bathing G. rosea, ours is so cute when she does that!
Our G. pulchra stick their butts up in the air as they walk, I guess in preparation to kick hairs but the hardly ever do.(third pic)
Our P. murinus will kill each prey item individually, drop them and then eat them at its leisure.
Our P. cambridegei hangs her webbed boluses from one of the plants in her enclosure, which is pretty handy for removing them. Just pick them like little apples with the tongs! :)

....and yes this has been asked before. However, since new people sign up every day, the answers are always changing. :D

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why do you have a heating lamp for your Ts? Does your house get really cold?

My spiders like to chase a feather when I run them across the top of their enclosure.

eporter

Arachnopeon
My apartment is old and the insulation isn't that great so the mean temp of my apartment is like 62 degrees when its 30 degrees outside (college student). It doesn't get much colder inside when the outside temp drops, but temps like that don't make T's happy. But my room is a bit warmer then the rest of the apartment so i use that and the heat lamp to keep the Temp at like 80 degrees in the cage area when its on. I turn it off at night depending on how cold it is in the room. Generally its insulated enough that the temp only drops like 10 degrees in the cage any more and I don't turn off the lamp.

Oh and my T likes to hunt down the crickets one by one lol

Last edited:

MetalheadRAM

Arachnopeon
Sometimes Taz, my B. Albopilosum, will "fall asleep" where hes standing and lean over on one or two of his legs. If something startles him he will pop up and pretend he wasnt sleeping. Its cute :D

eporter

Arachnopeon
lol sometimes mine looks like its crumpled on the ground and i'm like "Oh no!" and then I poke it and it springs to life again...lol I wonder if they actually do fall asleep as well. lol

MetalheadRAM

Arachnopeon
lol sometimes mine looks like its crumpled on the ground and i'm like "Oh no!" and then I poke it and it springs to life again...lol I wonder if they actually do fall asleep as well. lol
I researched this a lot and never found anything, so I stopped worrying about it and figured maybe my T was just a bit "Special". Its good to know others do it too :)

eporter

Arachnopeon
yeah, lol its the whole "its strange.....ah its normal" I figure T's must shut down for a little bit of the day...even bee's shut down at night i think...

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Well the wierdest thing I've seen was my bro's avic avic... When I drop food in it will fun laps around the top of its vial for hours and hours and every now and then will drop down and take a shot at the cricket. If it misses, it goes back up and continues running laps around the top again. REALLY wierd to me :?

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well the wierdest thing I've seen was my bro's avic avic... When I drop food in it will fun laps around the top of its vial for hours and hours and every now and then will drop down and take a shot at the cricket. If it misses, it goes back up and continues running laps around the top again. REALLY wierd to me :?
LOL! It's training for a marathon!