Odd repeditive behavior of my Aviculara versicolor sling.

Robotic Cook

Arachnopeon
Hello. My little A. Versicolor sling molted nearly two weeks ago. After a long period of inactivity it has now started to be very active. For the last three days it has been walking laps around the top of the deli container that it is housed in. It is circling when I leave for work and It is still circling when I go to bed. At first I thought the sling was webbing but so far nothing has been created. I am getting kinda worried.

Any thoughts on this behavior or do I just have a sling who aspires to be the world's first track and field tarantula?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Mine moulted around the same time as yours and mine are doing the exact same thing. I'm pretty sure that it is normal behaviour. I always figure that they are hungry and looking for food.... so I feed them.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Mine moulted around the same time as yours and mine are doing the exact same thing. I'm pretty sure that it is normal behaviour. I always figure that they are hungry and looking for food.... so I feed them.
The T's are always right!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My A.metallica does the same every now and then. It stops when I feed it, so it seems a searching for food.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
my versicolor slings do the same, yet they seem to have trouble finding food.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It's either hungry or too large for the enclosure. Spiders will do this when they're trying to find a more suitable home, just as they would in the wild. Do you have a picture of the setup?

Mauri

Arachnoknight
You fed it after 7 days no? Plus I also think they are looking for anchor points to web from....or it's searching for food...they certainly did this when they were quite new to the enclosures.

Mine dont do this anymore since they both moulted. Well not that I have seen, they sit on their webs and wait to be fed (unless they are moving about at night, quite possile).

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Two of my Avics tore up all their webbing after recovering from a molt. Then moved around like that before finally re-webbing in a different spot. One was a amazonica and the other was a versicolor. They have doubled their web size and are settling back in. Next molt though they will be getting the mid range homes.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello. My little A. Versicolor sling molted nearly two weeks ago. After a long period of inactivity it has now started to be very active. For the last three days it has been walking laps around the top of the deli container that it is housed in. It is circling when I leave for work and It is still circling when I go to bed. At first I thought the sling was webbing but so far nothing has been created. I am getting kinda worried.

Any thoughts on this behavior or do I just have a sling who aspires to be the world's first track and field tarantula?

2 Things:

1. It's looking for food is the likely reason- my A. huriana is doing this right now, and he's 4"

2. The container is too small since the molt.

Robotic Cook

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice. I don't think the container is too small. The sling is less then half an inch.Enclosure pictures attached.

The sling has fed. It was hanging up side down on the lid two days ago, so I unscrewed it and dropped a meal worm down in front of her. She grabbed it very gently and ate.

Attachments

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I use enclosures with screw on lids and really like them, you just have to be careful not to catch a foot in the lid when you're putting them back on. That looks good, lots of stuff in there for them to web up. It sometimes takes some time - mine took a long while as well and still don't have a lot of webbing.