Odd Jumping Spider Nest

giantrat

Arachnopeon
I've got a wild caught phidippus johnsoni that I've had for a little under 2 months now. Other than some mild gripping problems she's had no issues in my time with her and she's made a few nests for herself up at the top of her enclosure. She's been eating and active but today she barely moved from this spot at the very bottom of her enclosure. At first I thought she might be nearing the end of her life but when I checked on her later in the day she seemed to have started making a nest in this spot. I've noticed no significant deterioration in her grip and her nests are all accessable by cork bark even if she could no longer grip onto the plastic sides. I'm not sure why she would nest down there and I can't find anything about this online. I'm gonna check on her again tomorrow and update then but I thought that this was strange and was hoping to get someone else's opinion

Attachments

giantrat

Arachnopeon
She's up and about like usual now but I'm still very confused about why she chose to rest down there last night. She's never done that before and I have no idea why she would

SalticusScenicusStar

Arachnoknight
Perhaps she made her nest under the flower as safety cover for her, my jumping spider did that too when I put accessories in her enclosure. I suppose it's not really a problem. Then again, you said she had gripping issues, so maybe she could not make a nest at the top as she was unable to climb up.

giantrat

Arachnopeon
I meant to update this earlier but she is up and climbing again like usual. I have no idea why she chose that one spot for one day to sit but she's back to her usual self. The flowers weren't even a new addition they've been there the whole time she's been in that enclosure.

giantrat

Arachnopeon
Ok so it's been a while and she has no problem with her grip and yet she continues to spend much of her time down by this flower. There have also been a few times when she attempted to nest on the very front of the enclosure but as it's a front open enclosure I had to destroy it to discourage her from nesting there. As you can see she already has a few nests towards the back of the enclosure. The cork bark also provides many places that she can and has used as a more secure hiding place. I have no clue why she continues to spend so much time at the bottom of her enclosure. Is there more I could or should add to encourage her to spend more time up higher? I'm just not sure why she doesn't use the nests she's already made
IMG_20230619_122858467_HDR.jpg IMG_20230619_122915261_HDR.jpg

Nomad177six

Arachnopeon
I have a wild caught phidippus audax and I'm going on about 3 weeks now of having him and mine has done the same thing. One night he made a nest on the bottom inside of a curled up leaf. But he also seems to make several nests and still chooses to sleep in a different spot almost every night. I really don't know if there is a method to their madness when it comes to this. One thing i did notice or i think I've noticed anyways is that, the more i have opened the enclosure to do different things, the more it seemed to me as though Jack seemed to get stressed or depressed like and would just sit in the bottom and really not do much but just sleep and not really explore like usual. I did have rocks in the bottom of his enclosure that i ended up taking out because his food was able to stay hidden in them too easily and when i did that and moved things around it seems like it depressed him. But after a day or so he came back around and pretty much has a schedule that i have noticed. He gets up early and explores for a couple hours and then takes a nap most of the afternoon and then climbs around for a few hours in the evening and by 7pm every night he finds a place to hide and sleeps all night. It's just like clock work.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Ok so it's been a while and she has no problem with her grip and yet she continues to spend much of her time down by this flower. There have also been a few times when she attempted to nest on the very front of the enclosure but as it's a front open enclosure I had to destroy it to discourage her from nesting there. As you can see she already has a few nests towards the back of the enclosure. The cork bark also provides many places that she can and has used as a more secure hiding place. I have no clue why she continues to spend so much time at the bottom of her enclosure. Is there more I could or should add to encourage her to spend more time up higher? I'm just not sure why she doesn't use the nests she's already made
View attachment 447924 View attachment 447925
Jumpers and crab spiders like to sit on flowers and wait for bugs to land. It has no clue it’s fake . :rofl: