Odd Behavior

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My H. lividium has recently been displaying some behaivior that weirds even me out.

She's been sealed in her burrow for the past few months after a moult. Well, last night she came out to hunt for the first time since I've had her.

Apparrently, she feels she needs to hunt upside down. :?

She hangs from the top of the KK and grabs roaches off the substrate.

It's nice she's not a pet hole, but this is still among the strangest things I've seen or even heard of.

I'll post pics when can. I didn't get a pic of her capturing the roach, but...yeah.

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Has she seen "Alien"? or maybe "Predator"? Sounds cool though :cool:
That roach never knew what hit it! "death from above" :eek: {D

Really, it could be that since she molted she may be a bit more limber, and is trying out a new hunting technique with her increased mobility.Plus their footpads will have excellent grip again after a molt.

Also how big is she, the smaller ones may act more "arboreal" than when they get larger and heavier.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She's roughly six inches or so. She's pretty big. Definitely adult. I'll see if she does it again tonight.

This was the first time I've actually seen her since I rehoused her.

As for seeing Aliens...she's from asia so she probably has a bootleg stashed away somewhere in her previous burrow ;)

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i never heard or seen that before ? i wonder if it just a novelty that she can do it and in time she go back to the pet hole behaviour ? ;) --- phil

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She's been watching too many spider man movies. ;)

Strange but funny...

~Fred

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haha, that is might be rare, but mine isnt pethole at all
Dat! is Odd, last 5 monts, since november
shez out and about :}
explain dis ;P

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She's done it twice now but she doesn't seem to come out every night. These are the only pictures I have. They're pretty crappy but this gives you an idea.

The substrate is bone dry, BTW.

I wetted it down yesterday afternoon a bit, but she was doing the same thing last night.

Attachments

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Funny that someone else has see this happen. My recently mated and molted female does the same thing sort of. Ill offer prey and she will kill it then instead of making a feeding mat and eating she hangs upside down in her burrow and eats, its funny to watch cause it look so odd.

Giantsfan24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
May it was because the sub. was dry. She might have been looking for moisture. Of course this is a complete guess so take it with a grain of salt.

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow..thats odd. shes very pretty tho. you should see if you can get this on flim it would be fun to watch