OBTs

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OBTs are just that orange blurry things...I dropped a cricket in my OBT's tank and litterally after i blinked it was gone. usually crickets have to walk past my T's at least three times before they go for it...gotta love these guys....

I can this..a collection of Ts isnt a collection without at least one OBT and one AVIC.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OBTs are just that orange blurry things...I dropped a cricket in my OBT's tank and litterally after i blinked it was gone. usually crickets have to walk past my T's at least three times before they go for it...gotta love these guys....

I can this..a collection of Ts isnt a collection without at least one OBT and one AVIC.
I agree, Avics and OBTs are a must in every collection.

OBT usually stands for Orange Baboon Tarantula or Orange Bitey Thing, because of there well known aggressiveness. You probably knew that though.

Last edited:

SpiderZone2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I also agree with you both on this. You just have to try them and have them in your collection to apprecite them!

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I agree, they are impressive. But I believe the ultimate amaze in killing power is H. maculata or S. calceatum.

-Sean

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am going to get an OBT soon, but I decided on a P. regalis for my first old world T. P. murinus will most likely be in the next batch of spiders I order.

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the stories of speed and defensiveness still make me a bit aprehensive. I guess i've grown accustomed to my "docile" t's.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the stories of speed and defensiveness still make me a bit aprehensive. I guess i've grown accustomed to my "docile" t's.
Speed in these guys isnt something you should worry about because it comes to safety for the spider and my self when I have to add water I use a small clear catch up that i just cover over my OBT then I fill the water bowl/take out old food and slowly uncover the obt from the catch cup and put the lid and lock on. and there you have it, no bites on you and no escapee obts.

I think my next T will be an H mac.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Speed in these guys isnt something you should worry about because it comes to safety for the spider and my self when I have to add water I use a small clear catch up that i just cover over my OBT then I fill the water bowl/take out old food and slowly uncover the obt from the catch cup and put the lid and lock on. and there you have it, no bites on you and no escapee obts.

I think my next T will be an H mac.
thats if you can see it lol you just got to love them ( o.b.t ) :eek: :clap: :clap: :worship: :worship: ^^^^ phil

mandolin101

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Of my four slings, the OBT is by far the most interesting. Besides the fact that it grows about twice as fast as anything else I have, it also constructs intricate burrows, with more than one opening. OBT's rule.

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I recently got my girlfriend interested in tarantulas, and she saw a picture of a OBT and said that is what she wants. So I'm thinking about getting her one, but was wondering how hard they are to care for

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They are very easy to care for. Just give them food and keep the water dish full and you are set. Just don't get bit, its not one you want to pick up.

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love my OBT but she still makes me a little nervous from time to time. I have to say though that I heard a lot about them before getting one which I do not believe to be entirely true. Mine is much more skittish than aggressive, but I suppose this is her personal disposition and does not represent all OBT's. Though I wonder which disposition the majority of OBT's fall into. And in all fairness, she is my favorite. She still dumps as much crap as she can find into that water dish though...:wall:

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love my OBT but she still makes me a little nervous from time to time. I have to say though that I heard a lot about them before getting one which I do not believe to be entirely true. Mine is much more skittish than aggressive, but I suppose this is her personal disposition and does not represent all OBT's. Though I wonder which disposition the majority of OBT's fall into. And in all fairness, she is my favorite. She still dumps as much crap as she can find into that water dish though...:wall:
lol yes dumping crap in its water dish is a bad habit :embarrassed: :embarrassed: on the o.b.t. but you still got to :worship: :worship: :worship: the bad - t - that it is lol {D {D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) ^^^^ phil

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Rehoused my adult female in a bigger (breeding!) tub today. I tried to gently coax her from one to the other with a spoon and long tweezers. I bet you can imagine her response to that.
I fionally got her moving, and she went right into the tub, right out of the tub, and skittered across the table to hide in the shadows on the underside.
Just like when she was a sling. :D

So she's still the pretty little spider I got years ago, but now I think I'll use a transfer container next time I move her...

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My roomate has an OBT, and it doesnt even seem to be skittish. I would have to say it's one of the T's in our collection that doesnt make me that nervous.....I am more apprehensive about doing tank maintenence on our B. Smithi "hair kicker extroidinaire" than the OBT......

Kagekumo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
beam me up scotty!

this video might create a bit of a stink but it nicely demonstrates the speed of the H. maculata. I'm just now beginning to want one after seeing this a couple of months ago.

Plus you gotta be just a little crazy to do what this guy did, or at least have bigger cohones

notice tho that he does not get tagged

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YSBgETQn18

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
this video might create a bit of a stink but it nicely demonstrates the speed of the H. maculata. I'm just now beginning to want one after seeing this a couple of months ago.

Plus you gotta be just a little crazy to do what this guy did, or at least have bigger cohones

notice tho that he does not get tagged

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YSBgETQn18
LOL... I don't know if he's crazy or he's idiot (or both) :}

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
is it wrong that i was concerned more for the T's health and safety than his?