Obts ARE agressive and fast

chuch

Arachnopeon
so i was rehosing my obt because it had just molted i open the container and it seems to not be moveing so i gently prod it with some tongs and it shoots out running runs acrost my brother then acrossed all of my bed then i goes and hides under the bed. they are defintly not begginer species :embarrassed:

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes that is a pretty well known fact lol. It seems like they are alot of "fun". Never had one, don't know if I ever will!:D

phily1579

Arachnopeon
I have a 5" obt. She is an orange monster. U should of just left it alone my man. I have 22 ts. And none of them scare me more then my obt. They r def not for a begginer nor a intermidiate. They r highly aggressive n derserve alot of respect. I would get some more experence if I was u, then try again.;P

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a 5" obt. She is an orange monster. U should of just left it alone my man. I have 22 ts. And none of them scare me more then my obt. They r def not for a begginer nor a intermidiate. They r highly aggressive n derserve alot of respect. I would get some more experence if I was u, then try again.;P
So do you consider yourself an advanced keeper?

Thegloryfades

Arachnosquire
Threads like this are why tarantulas in general have a bad rep. That is not being aggressive in the slightest you likely scared the hell out of it and being at its most vulnerable point just after a shed it decided flee

Last edited:

jt39565

Arachnoknight
My 3 are speed demons, but not what I would consider aggressive. I am hoping to get more from this genus, they are in my top 3 favs so far.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
OBT's are more skittish then aggressive but they will bite without hesitation.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The word is DEFENSIVE,everyone...........(for everyone using the word "aggressive")

web eviction

Arachnolord
My obt wasn't aggressive at all it was fast but usually just ran away and hid, my H. Vonworthi on the other hand is very aggressive I was cleaning up a bit this morn and as I grabbed an old bolus to remove it the little devil came out stridulating and latched on to my tongs and would let go! So I left them in there for a bit came back later and she was still sitting on them I tried to nudge her off with a paintbrush and she turned right around and nailed that to then attempted to run up the handle so I dropped it to lol.

web eviction

Arachnolord
^ What he said...

But I have a feeling, with the noobs that are flooding AB now days, no one will learn to word things correctly...
That's why we ask the more experienced folk here on the boards to have better understanding some just need a little help I'm no noob but I don't think I'm an expert either and we appreciate everyone's input so telling ppl there noobs and that there just wrong kinda sucks don't attack the questions help us to better understand :D sorry that was directed at any one just wanted to say...:rolleyes:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's why we ask the more experienced folk here on the boards to have better understanding some just need a little help I'm no noob but I don't think I'm an expert either and we appreciate everyone's input so telling ppl there noobs and that there just wrong kinda sucks don't attack the questions help us to better understand :D sorry that was directed at any one just wanted to say...:rolleyes:
There are no questions being asked. Just noobs making statements, that are false.

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
I usually lurk on this board. I've gained valuable insight from the posts and pictures here - I read all the new posts every day. One learns quickly to use search.

I have heard many people refer to certain tarantulas as "mean". I don't think any of them are mean. Defensive, mostly. Sometimes they just get startled. Some are aggressive. But mean? I think few and far between actually warrant that title.

We're dealing with a largely blind animal here - it should be expected to be defensive and even fearful of the unknown. Learning to read a spider's body language and knowing its temperament are key.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Some are aggressive.
No...they're not.

Let me know the next time one of your spiders opens the lid (you can do this for it, if you desire) and actually chases you across the room.

If your spiders don't do this, or something very similar to this, they aren't aggressive.

Imbrium

Arachnopeon
I'm no expert, and I admittedly have only had my OBT for a short time but my E. murinus is way more defensive. And even that disappears almost completely when they have the option of running to their hole/hide. Maybe she'll get more defensive once she's settled in a bit more.

jolsen91

Arachnopeon
so i was rehosing my obt because it had just molted i open the container and it seems to not be moveing so i gently prod it with some tongs and it shoots out running runs acrost my brother then acrossed all of my bed then i goes and hides under the bed. they are defintly not begginer species :embarrassed:
yeah i have one and it scares the <poop> out of me cause every time i go to move something in its cage it darts away from me an i have almost lost it twice

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have to use the trap door on the kk I have my obt in. She is living in a tube web that is glued to the lid. Opening it would really hurt or I'd have to deal with my obt nearly escaping...again. One of my favorite spiders. :D

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
I like how none of the threads here ever stay on the OP's topic, but instead turn into people getting ridiculed for simple scemantics by the tarantula elitists *sarcasm*

We all know that tarantulas are only defending themselves when they bite us & everyone will know that by "agressive" people mean that it will bite you. If you want to discuss the implications of using one word over the other, start your own thread.
It would just be nice to see this forum be a little bit more about tarantulas, and a little bit less about egos. That is all.

And to respond to the OP, yes I agree :D When I brought my first OBT home, he laid on his back the whole time with legs spread and fangs out. Everytime the car hit a little bump, he would slap the side of the deli cup hard enough to tip it over! I love them so much, they are a great species.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like how none of the threads here ever stay on the OP's topic, but instead turn into people getting ridiculed for simple scemantics by the tarantula elitists *sarcasm*

We all know that tarantulas are only defending themselves when they bite us & everyone will know that by "agressive" people mean that it will bite you. If you want to discuss the implications of using one word over the other, start your own thread.
It would just be nice to see this forum be a little bit more about tarantulas, and a little bit less about egos. That is all.
So, when someone more experienced tries to teach a n00b the RIGHT way, they are elitists? Wow, that is a new one. No, wait, its not new... Its the reason most of the more experienced have gone to lurking & less helping...

Now, the site is mostly n00bs helping n00bs, getting & offering incorrect information... :clap: *sarcasm*

Last edited:

Robertb

Arachnopeon
So, when someone more experienced tries to teach a n00b the RIGHT way, they are elitists? Wow, that is a new one. No, wait, its not new... Its the reason most of the more experienced have gone to lurking & less helping...

Now, the site is mostly n00bs helping n00bs, getting & offering incorrect information... :clap: *sarcasm*

....sorry it was bothering me..:eek: