OBT..Yankee Candle style...

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was petrified to get an OBT but the lids on these stay wonderfully..I am going to drill a lid and put a locking "foodhole" on top but cutting small slits in the plastic was plenty for ventalation...Do they all web like this ...it's facinatiing!

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, it is either a mold that comes and goes or sand... no mites. I'm experimenting with high intensity UV radiation to get rid of it...the mold that is.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
this has bad news written all over it.. :wall:

yes, being semi-arboreal most web like this.

Last edited:

losct2381

Arachnosquire
Thinif the uv radiation kills the mites it will prob kill ur tarantula also

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

I second the call of bad news that setup looks bad for that tarantula I don't see any substrate all I see is rocks sand and mold. All bad for the tarantula sand too abrasive ricks to hard and mold will kill. Imagine walking around with a Gand full of sand in ur pants.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow...I have been keeping insects and animals all my life, Guys really seriously?! If you look at the lip of the jar it has fins of soft plastic that hold it in, they are not continus they are broken into 4 sections air only can't escape the final layer, by using a surgical scapel I was able to make vent holes in that. Next.....
YES, of course "if it kills mold it would kill my spider too......"
I am using a highly focoused germ killing beam BELOW the surface fron the outside of the glass for 4-5 seconds a day to see if I can kill off the small...very small spot of mold....the spider is not contacted by the light as this would injure it or kill it outright.
It's molted in there twice, is eating very, acts traditionally aggressive and seems to be content, are people always this weird and demeaning in the T forums? I have seldom ran into this anywhere else on the boards.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Also there are NOT just rocks and sand...I mixed a lot of sand into the jungle substrate I usually use. As I read from all the caressheets and looking at pictures of them in nature I thought a more desert like dry plains and scrub brush setting was more appropriate, there was more of a dark appearance before he webbed everything. Also it's calcisand,it is not as sharp as regular sand, not even a real rock. Now that may make it more suseptibale to mold but I have tha particular mold in my house ..it likes to get into the newer enclosures..it will usually die off soon, I'm used to having to deal with it no matter how disinfected the stuff.
When I post his new pics...you'll see it's happy...

losct2381

Arachnosquire
NAh man not trying to be harsh. but u didnt explain the uv light like u just did. And it just looks ify man. not trying to judge u was trying to look out for ur t. But if u like that candel jar u can go to home depot and in the tile isle they sell a real small hole saw u attach to a drill it's use for tile but it will work for glass too. just keep it wet it makes nice vent holes in glass I do it all the time on glass tanks works real good for me The holes are real small it almost looks like u used a reg drill bit works nice

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Ps sorry it came out like that. I used to feel the same way here ull see there's no harm behinde it

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
actually the vents in the lid fitting work great but I don't want to have to risk removing the top for feeding ..he's getting biger by the day. I will be using a dimond bit with water and then glue the "trapdoor" to the glass with food grade sillicone or good marine epoxy,that should never let go, I don't assume that with his rate of growth he'll be in there past fall.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I was thinking more like candle residue as glass is porous and the chemicals used in wax. :?

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Uhmn..you may correct me if I am grossly wrong but glass is NOT porous. That is why it is a candle holder, :) ...also I did clean it with boiling water dish detergent and bleach (a few drops) then rinsed it in boiling water, aired it out overnight and started from there...the only thing that could have possible absorbed anything was the lid liner and that seemd rather fine as it was only the smell of the candel ever that touched it. It was washed the same anyhow.

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Just in case my high school and college failed me, I just checked...unless it is made specifically for a military or specialty purpose, glass is entierly non-porous. Which is why you can keep virus and acids in it without fear of escape.

losct2381

Arachnosquire
Dude don't drive urself crazy if the t is happy and thriving who cares what they think about ur setup. I was just worried abot the uv and sand. And even like that who cares what I think as long asu know the t is ok

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay here is the tank now and...actuall spider shots!

When I was talking of complex webbing this was what I meant...

I love this OBT.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think your best bet to get rid of the mold it to add more ventilation!In my experience mold can be one of the number one killers to your spiders when it spreads badly.
-Chris