Obt substrate

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i went to pick up desert blend ground up walnut shells for an obt enclosure.. petsmart really didn't have a good selection.. and i know they're native to the kenya...sooo get my money back or should i be fine?

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well I have heard that anything sandy can be bad for tarantulas. This might be able to be used I'm not sure. Does obt burrow alot, or am I thinking of somthing else? Because If it is a burrower then I don't think the walnut shells would be good. But let's see what everyone else says

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
definitely grabbed the wrong stuff..the store was closing and my ride was waiting on me..dammit

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have EcoEarth Coconut Fiber substrate in my OBTs enclosures, they all moved it around and webbed and made a burrows in it fine, I'd say use that to be safe.

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think im going to roll to wally world tomorrow and grab some peat moss..thats what i usually use. never going to petsmart again those ppl know nothing about exotic animals

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P murinus are not obligate burrowers , and usually web up a lot and only partially burrow. This is IME ofcourse.
What I mean to say it they don't need it particularly deep or compact.
I've always used an inch or two of coco fiber with them and it works just fine.
Whatever you choose, Just make sure it dries out enough after initially hydrating it so your OBT doesn't freak out!
They do like it on the drier side.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmm. I've never seen a desert made of ground walnut shells. :confused:

You want ecoearth/bed-a-beast or whatever they're calling it. It's shredded coconut coir (coco fiber). The fibrous stringy stuff, not the big chunks. You'll have to hydrate it to expand the bricks but then you'll need to dry it back out for the OBT. They like things pretty arid.

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thx for the feedback fellow dudes. i don't know what the hell i was thinking grabbing that stuff. i'm just super excited to have this species

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thx for the feedback fellow dudes. i don't know what the hell i was thinking grabbing that stuff. i'm just super excited to have this species
it's ok AA, We all get excited!

I use coco coir for about everything! No issues so far! :)

Joe

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so the transfer was a success, she wasn't too happy about being moved but shes in the new enclosure getting used to it. i used peat moss thats a little humid at first but drys out in a couple days. plenty of places to set up shop and good ventilation for fresh air.