OBT Sling Caresheet

Ijk24

Arachnosquire
Hi guys so I recently got an unexpected freebie obt sling that i absolutely love and i just wanted to know the basic caresheet for these slings so I can watch this beauty grow into adulthood to be a mean mama
Also is this good enough to keep him in

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
At that size I would move him/her into one of those crickets plastic enclosure we have here with something (little) for hide.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Way too small IMO; those guys grow fast. I'd go with a 16oz deli cup. I don't have one yet but my understanding is they're very hardy and really don't need much. I'd do a 16oz deli, dry sub with a water bottle cap for a water dish, and a couple of anchor points for webbing.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
First off, that container is NOT suitable, TOO SMALL for any T that size, especially a fast and defensive T such as an OBT.

Based on that question, I'll assume you don't have a lot of experience with tarantulas, which is fine, no one is born w/this knowledge.

I don't know your experience with OW Ts, but if you don't have any, then please do A LOT of research, ie READ here about them, not caresheets (those kill Ts). You are in possession of a very fast, very defensive Old World species.

They are a VERY hardy species to be kept dry, and to be afforded a lot of room. The more space you provide, the safer YOU will be.

This is a tarantula that will stand its ground against larger mammals than yourself in the wild in Africa, so BE CAREFUL.

Provide a water dish of course, and feed.

My AF would greet me with a threat posture every day, so have fun!

If you haven't owned an OW before, this T will likely outgrow the rate at which your skills develop, something to think about it.

If you are an OW pro, then enjoy!

Last edited:

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I got in a batch of 1" obt slings awhile back and transferred them straight into 32oz deli containers. I'm really glad that I did so because they grow pretty fast and it alleviates the need for unnecessary rehouses.

Last edited:

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Yeah I definitely tend to "overdo it" as far as enclosure size for OWs. Decreases the need for multiple rehousings and gives them more space so it's easier to do maintenance, feed, etc.

Ijk24

Arachnosquire
First off, that container is NOT suitable, TOO SMALL for any T that size, especially a fast and defensive T such as an OBT.

Based on that question, I'll assume you don't have a lot of experience with tarantulas, which is fine, no one is born w/this knowledge.

I don't know your experience with OW Ts, but if you don't have any, then please do A LOT of research, ie READ here about them, not caresheets (those kill Ts). You are in possession of a very fast, very defensive Old World species.

They are a VERY hardy species to be kept dry, and to be afforded a lot of room. The more space you provide, the safer YOU will be.

This is a tarantula that will stand its ground against larger mammals than yourself in the wild in Africa, so BE CAREFUL.

Provide a water dish of course, and feed.

My AF would greet me with a threat posture every day, so have fun!

If you haven't owned an OW before, this T will likely outgrow the rate at which your skills develop, something to think about it.

If you are an OW pro, then enjoy!
Thanks for the info I've rehoused it since I posted this into a deli cup

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
Yeah I definitely tend to "overdo it" as far as enclosure size for OWs. Decreases the need for multiple rehousings and gives them more space so it's easier to do maintenance, feed, etc.
I feel the same man. I like keeping all my T's with a bit of extra space to easily deal with them, Especially OW's. These guys went from shipping vial to 32oz deli's and they will eventually go to their "adult" sized enclosures, the end. When dealing with OW's I use the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method, lol.