OBT reputation

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I may go for it. I'm going to an expo in July, so I've got 'til then to think about it, then I guess I'm just gonna go see what catches my eye.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just curious when they became OBTs and not Pterinocilus sp. "Usambara"?
P. murinus is the scientific name. OBT is a nickname they've been affectionately given by us hobbyists standing for Orange Bitey Thing.

I don't know when they were officially described and changed from "Pterinichilus sp. usambara" to "Pteronichilus murinus" but it wasn't within the past couple years anyway.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They're also known as the "Pterror," in reference to their Latin name, as well as the flaming orange death, fireball of doom, etc. :D

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you get a sling, you'll have a little while before they get feisty. They tend to grow faster than some tarantulas, and they are great eaters (mine anyway). I have a couple of slings now, but as long as I respect them and don't treat them like you see in all those youtube videos, they just hide in their tube webs while I do *quick* maintenance. I have more trouble with my versicolors trying to get away than these guys. They are really fun to watch!

WhiskyTrekker

Arachnopeon
Oh yeah...orange bitey things...i remember calling them that...
I ducked out back in 2000 or so and that's when everyone was just calling them "usambaras"...

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have one also.She stays in her little hide she spun in the log. I have never seen her eat, she must be nocturnal as I always have to put her crik in and leave it overnight. She is quite pretty though.What I do see of her.