obt question

ChaelP

Arachnosquire
i bought a 5" female obt more than a month ago. i put her in a temporary enclosure(plastic bin) for a few days to a week until i get a better enclosure for her. she webbed up one side pretty good. when i transferred her in her new enclosure, she just made a cocoon on the side of the enclosure. i catch her few times wandering around her enclosure but most of the time stays inside the web cocoon. i put twigs and sticks in her enclosure for anchor points because i wanted her to web up the whole enclosure. problem is she just stays in the cocoon, hasnt eaten for more than 3weeks and hasnt web at all aside from the cocoon. shes not on premolt because she just molted a week or two before i bought her. can anyone tell me whats wrong with the setup. substrate is 2-3inch deep with lots of anchor points

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yeah, she's missing a hide. They don't make their own unless absolutely forced to.

Sub should be much deeper, at least the legspan, they like to burrow.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I haven't kept OBTs myself, but what I hear from other keepers is that they tend to be more defensive if not much substrate is provided. It seems they are more moody and unpredictable in such a setup.

boina

Lady of the mites
If you want her to web that's not enough anchor points. A hide plus anchor points is usually a good idea. They need a starting point (hide), otherwise they'll not be comfortable in a large, bare enclosure. I'm at work now but I'll see if I can find a pic of mine in her enclosure later.

ChaelP

Arachnosquire
noted. i didnt put a lot of substrate because i wanted to have space incase she starts to run up or attack haha thanks for the replies

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
noted. i didnt put a lot of substrate because i wanted to have space incase she starts to run up or attack haha thanks for the replies
While any OBT could do a runner, I think if you add more substrate and provide a hide the odds are lessened for an escape/runner. Right now, you're depriving your OBT of a safe haven to run into when you open lid. You could literally be making your fears come true with this set up, imo.

cold blood

Staff member
shes not on premolt because she just molted a week or two before i bought her.
Apparently you aren't aware of their fast growth rate....on top of that, if you feed on a heavy schedule, pre-molt fasts come on quicker and last longer as the t has what it needs, but still needs more time to be ready to molt. That t has had more than enough time to be pre-molt now.
can anyone tell me whats wrong with the setup. substrate is 2-3inch deep with lots of anchor points
As mentioned...more anchor points...lots more, a hide and lots more substrate.
Flawed logic. Fact is that a proper set up will see the t bolting downward into a hide (burrow)...which makes everything easier for a keeper. The biggest issues lie with barren shallow substrate enclosures like you have....its hard for a t to get comfortable if it cant dig or even create a good hide....an uncomfortable OBT is far more prone to not only bolting, but being crazy defensive as well. Most set ups I see on places like you tube are woefully inadequate, bordering on terrible.

Last edited:

BC1579

Arachnobaron
From what I’ve read/seen, most people can’t react fast enough to a motivated OBT.

That’s coming from a person with no OW experience, but it seems like if they’re committed there’s really nothing you can do about it.

ChaelP

Arachnosquire
Apparently you aren't aware of their fast growth rate....on top of that, if you feed on a heavy schedule, pre-molt fasts come on quicker and last longer as the t has what it needs, but still needs more time to be ready to molt. That t has had more than enough time to be pre-molt now.

As mentioned...more anchor points...lots more, a hide and lots more substrate.
Flawed logic. Fact is that a proper set up will see the t bolting downward into a hide (burrow)...which makes everything easier for a keeper. The biggest issues lie with barren shallow substrate enclosures like you have....its hard for a t to get comfortable if it cant dig or even create a good hide....an uncomfortable OBT is far more prone to not only bolting, but being crazy defensive as well. Most set ups I see on places like you tube are woefully inadequate, bordering on terrible.
shes a 5" female. could she be in premolt now, less than 2months after her last molt? i dont think thats the case. but i fixed the setup now, substrate is deep enough. and yes, youtube is where i copied my previous set up.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
From what I’ve read/seen, most people can’t react fast enough to a motivated OBT.

That’s coming from a person with no OW experience, but it seems like if they’re committed there’s really nothing you can do about it.
I don't know if anyone's fast enough and confident enough for that. I wouldnt want to crush it, or get bit.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My eye cannot track fast enough for a running OBT -- much less to be able to catch one running.
My plan was always to have a catch cup ready for when they stop running and take a breather. ;)

ChaelP

Arachnosquire
Easily...what's your feeding schedule been...how often, what kinds of prey items?

Nice, I like the quick reaction to info:)
i feed her dubia roaches. i feed her once a week with an adult male dubia. sometimes twice a week with juvies.
Had i known the setup i got from youtube is bad, i wouldve changed it weeks ago, or wouldnt have copied it at all. I thought shes just getting used to her enclosure. thanks for the tips!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
i feed her dubia roaches. i feed her once a week with an adult male dubia. sometimes twice a week with juvies.
Had i known the setup i got from youtube is bad, i wouldve changed it weeks ago, or wouldnt have copied it at all. I thought shes just getting used to her enclosure. thanks for the tips!
I think you mean well and will give your T a good home. No worries. Keep learning, do your best. It should all work out fine. This is a very hardy species, they like things dry and they like a good burrow/hiding space. And, to me, OBTs are gorgeous. :)

ChaelP

Arachnosquire
I think you mean well and will give your T a good home. No worries. Keep learning, do your best. It should all work out fine. This is a very hardy species, they like things dry and they like a good burrow/hiding space. And, to me, OBTs are gorgeous. :)
i agree theyre gorgeous. I was gonna make her my showpiece. Sadly, i dont see her much anymore. But hopefully shell be out more with this new setup :D

cold blood

Staff member
i feed her once a week with an adult male dubia. sometimes twice a week
Yeah, a MM dubia is a large meal, weekly or twice a week and it would take maybe a month to fatten her up completely. When I feed large dubia I put 12-20 days between the meals, sometimes longer if the t in question is on the plump side.

No harm doing what you are doing, you will just see longer fasting periods.

I feed mine a lot less, and still never ever see it...lol....that's normal for an OBT....they hate everything, people, light, movement, vibrations, noises, the guy down the street....their prey take downs even seem like angry revenge kills.

Last edited: