OBT - premolt?

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi. i tried searching and couldn't find anything specific to OBT's. i don't know if it makes any difference. i have 2 OBT's that i recently accquired. They are about 3.5" - 4". They have a lot of hair rubbed off their legs and the skin is dark. Last week one refused food and this week both refused food and they are normally ferocious (sp?) eaters. i am hoping this is a sign of being in premolt as they will look so much nicer afterwards and i am anxious to sex them as well.

Question: How long is an OBT this size usually in premolt for? i imagine there is no exact time - just looking for some guidelines. Thanks so much!!

jules

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Usually for OW Ts, the two things you mentioned, dark skin under rubbed off hairs on legs and refusing to eat are signs of premolt.

For an OBT that size, I would say somewhere around 6 days to 2 weeks.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi. i tried searching and couldn't find anything specific to OBT's. i don't know if it makes any difference. i have 2 OBT's that i recently accquired. They are about 3.5" - 4". They have a lot of hair rubbed off their legs and the skin is dark. Last week one refused food and this week both refused food and they are normally ferocious (sp?) eaters. i am hoping this is a sign of being in premolt as they will look so much nicer afterwards and i am anxious to sex them as well.

Question: How long is an OBT this size usually in premolt for? i imagine there is no exact time - just looking for some guidelines. Thanks so much!!

jules
Another premolt sign is when it stops eating AND blocks off its burrow entrance and never comes out even for water. I have and OBT and it has blocked off both sides of its burrow entrance with food bolus and webbing so I'm hoping that when it knocks down its wall blocks it will come out bigger with a more bright orange color...

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks Novak - i guess i'll just have to be patient for a couple weeks or so. At that size i am guessing i will be able to sex them from their exo's (provided they don't get to destroyed...) with a little help from people here on the board and i think i read Swifts offers free sexing from molts. Thanks for the reply - appreciate it. jules

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Another premolt sign is when it stops eating AND blocks off its burrow entrance and never comes out even for water. I have and OBT and it has blocked off both sides of its burrow entrance with food bolus and webbing so I'm hoping that when it knocks down its wall blocks it will come out bigger with a more bright orange color...
Ahhh... good point Ball Python. i had noticed that both OBT's have somewhat changed their behavior related to their usual hangouts. OBT #1 has never used her coconut hut for a hide but instead uses that raised area and has a nice web hammack up there. However, she recently webbed herself in for even more privacy. OBT #2 normally loves his coconut hide but as recently decided to move out and make an elevated hammack similar to OBT #1. He/she (???) has himself molted in pretty snug as well. They both used to be more active but pretty much don't move from their latest hammocks. i'm not worried about them missing a little food - i was more hoping this might be a sign of molting soon. i'll keep my fingers crossed! thank you for bring up that other point because that has also been a big change in behavior for both of them the past week or so! Thanks everyone! jules