Obt or a pokie

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
If you want an orange spider that webs a fair bit, is active, is a bit feisty, and eats like a beast but won't totally mess you up for weeks if/when you get tagged then Pseudoclamoris gigas is a good shout.

Such a good looking spider. Has caught my eye since the first time I saw one on here, probably that exact photo. Are they comparable to Tapi's or Psalmos?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Such a good looking spider. Has caught my eye since the first time I saw one on here, probably that exact photo. Are they comparable to Tapi's or Psalmos?
All 3 genera are in the same subfamily (Pseudoclamoris gigas used to be Tapinauchenius gigas up until the end of 2018), she's a little less scatty than my Tapis but less reclusive than most of my Psalmos.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
One of the problems with getting an OBT or pokie at the age of 15, is the severity of the venom. Noone knows how badly they'll react until they get bit. What we do know is Obt's and Pokies have quite nasty venom and the groups who could have a more severe reaction are children/young people and old people/people with pre existing conditions.

A few months ago a guy ,who from memory was around 18 yrs, got bit in the finger by his brothers OBT, and was in such excruciating pain he went to hospital and actually got admitted overnight. Obviously, the doctors who assessed him were sufficiently concerned with the observations and test results, to decide he warranted a hospital bed.

If you want a fiesty tarantula to cut your teeth on, then a brilliant choice as someone already suggested would be an Acantoscurria geniculata. They get big. I have a young specimen that goes on the attack and tries to eat anything entering the enclosure. Which is very amusing and occasionally mildly terrifying too😄

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Personally, if I had to pick between OBT and Poecillotheria, I'd pick pokies all day

matypants

Arachnopeon
Has anyone recommended a Heteroscodra maculata in place of the two mentioned? That’s obviously the real answer.
Edit: Sorry- my mistake. I meant to type Vespa mandarinia. Get that. Get a few and call it good. Toughest coolest keeper ever.

Ok. Enough of my jokes. Since you obviously picked what you thought were two of the “baddest” tarantulas around and I casually named dropped a potentially even badder one while adding an edit mentioning Japanese hornets, I’m gonna point out two animals you can get right now. And if you or anyone you know takes a bite it *will* without doubt end up in an emergency room visit. Scolopendra subspinipes. Not a tarantula. A centipede. You aren’t impressed I know. Spend your 30 bucks and just see if your friends want a handle it. Watch how they react when you disturb it with the lid off. Then go get a Leiurus quinquestriatus aka “death stalker” scorpion. The name says it all. It has absolutely no kidding medically significant venom. There. There’s your true “want to be bad” answer. Now run along.

Last edited:

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
OP got their Xmas present early I’m guessing as they haven’t responded for a while. R.I.P.

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
Ok. Enough of my jokes. Since you obviously picked what you thought were two of the “baddest” tarantulas around and I casually named dropped a potentially even badder one while adding an edit mentioning Japanese hornets, I’m gonna point out two animals you can get right now. And if you or anyone you know takes a bite it *will* without doubt end up in an emergency room visit. Scolopendra subspinipes. Not a tarantula. A centipede. You aren’t impressed I know. Spend your 30 bucks and just see if your friends want a handle it. Watch how they react when you disturb it with the lid off. Then go get a Leiurus quinquestriatus aka “death stalker” scorpion. The name says it all. It has absolutely no kidding medically significant venom. There. There’s your true “want to be bad” answer. Now run along.
Psh just might aswell jump the gun and get into keeping Bothrops or Dendroaspsis, then you'll be REALLY COOL!

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Looking back on this thread, i do cringe at a lot of what i said. I did end up getting a pokie and an obt, and I have had few problems with both. I actually appreciate the responses and the jokes made at my expense. They made me realize what I was getting into, and caused me to watch more videos and do more research. I ended up using tom morans rehousing method, and have had to rehouse my ows around 7 times (2 extra bec mold issues and loose feeders with premolt). I dont regret my choices, but I do apologize for some of my dumb responses lol. Theyre still growing, so who knows, maybe you might still see me on bite reports if they outgrow me. (Joke obv, im taking many precautions. Probably too many.) I still have some more growing to do (as a person mostly), but so far my choices haven't bit me in the ass (or hand)

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
Looking back on this thread, i do cringe at a lot of what i said. I did end up getting a pokie and an obt, and I have had few problems with both. I actually appreciate the responses and the jokes made at my expense. They made me realize what I was getting into, and caused me to watch more videos and do more research. I ended up using tom morans rehousing method, and have had to rehouse my ows around 7 times (2 extra bec mold issues and loose feeders with premolt). I dont regret my choices, but I do apologize for some of my dumb responses lol. Theyre still growing, so who knows, maybe you might still see me on bite reports if they outgrow me. (Joke obv, im taking many precautions. Probably too many.) I still have some more growing to do (as a person mostly), but so far my choices haven't bit me in the ass (or hand)
Really appreciate you coming back and saying all this - takes a lot for someone to admit things like this. Most people come on here, think they know everything and when they’re told otherwise for the good of themselves and the T’s, we just never hear from them again. Good luck with em man. If they ever do get too much, rehome them, is always an option. Don’t stick it out just because you feel you have to.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Really appreciate you coming back and saying all this - takes a lot for someone to admit things like this. Most people come on here, think they know everything and when they’re told otherwise for the good of themselves and the T’s, we just never hear from them again. Good luck with em man. If they ever do get too much, rehome them, is always an option. Don’t stick it out just because you feel you have to.
I enjoy them way too much to rehome them lol, though the metallica is male, so he sadly won't be around for a long time. I have become more confident rehousing, no more nerves.

I do still think some people need to take it easier on people here though. All the people joking and saying I was looking for attention made me want to get one more, for better or worse