Obt or a pokie

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Curious if you’re open to nw? Neoholothele incei are a nice speedy T that webs up nice and lacks the venom potency.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah I know about their venom and the pain/medical significance. I plan on informing my parents prior and seeing what they think. I plan on doing a lot of research before I get one tho and I've done some already
Well, I can only say a (not sarcastic) 'good luck' to you.

I was in your very same situation more or less 26 years ago. Obviously, back then (and go figure here in Italy) the online spider trade didn't existed, so the only way to 'grab' T's was to purchase straight from the 'hands' of other keepers.

I wanted that "blue sorta" Tarantula living in that enclosure full of web (only after months I was able to discover that was a Chilobrachys spp.) not even two weeks after my first spiders (A normal, average 'grammo'; An 'Avic') but obviously, my request received a 'No way'. And that was the right answer.

I don't judge you. Just, as you said, inform your parents about.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
your gonna do what your gonna do just atleast do the responsible thing and make sure your parents know atleast that your bringing in a pet or pets with a potentially nasty bite for yourself/younger siblings and pets the hobby and shows dont need the ruckus your parents might cause if you or your siblings get bit from an escape cause they didnt know the risks involved in your soon to be new pet good luck and be safe

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Did you say you PREFER the OBTa temperament? I’d need you to explain that further.
That said I’d definitely do the pokie. IMO they’re much prettier and for the most part are easy to maneuver into catch cups and what not. Much much more predictable IME to an OBT

maddog1219

Arachnosquire
I appreciate your more relaxed and friendly attitude, and I know there will be some learning and trial and error here. I intend to do a fair amount of research and thanks for that info on the pokies, I've decided on an obt since they web more. Also yeah sorry for that word mix up, I meant i know obts stand their ground and attack more than most other tarantulas.
not trying to be rude but that's exactly what people are trying to say. It shouldn't be trial and error, you should of already had more new worlds and become more experienced so you know exactly what your doing and not making mistakes that could potentially harm you or the tarantula

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
I know there will be some learning and trial and error here.
This is like loading a gun, putting it to your gut, and saying it might hurt but you have to conduct some trial and error test runs to be sure.

Honestly, as a firm believer in Darwinism, I could care less if you get bit. I expect it’ll either be that or it will escape. I don’t think either one would be a good choice for your experience level, and my only reasoning for trying to talk you out of it would be for the well being of the T and your unsuspecting family.

There are PLENTY of beautiful NW T’s that you could get instead, and quite a few that pose challenges with speed and vigor. Getting something like a P Cam for instance, help you get acquainted with a venom that does something and teleportation.

The reason most keepers wait until they’re more experienced for these species is out of respect for the T. There’s no reason to put either you or the specimen in harms way solely for your desire for OW eye candy.

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
Yeah I have 1 Chile lmao. I've heard my fair share of warnings and people telling me not to but I'm getting one regardless, so save your breath if you've come here to tell me to not get one.
There’s a bite/sting section on here just calling your name in the near future

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The hobby is always in need of some updated bite reports!
I love the enthusiasm, I could use more fresh reading material under the category "help my Poki tagged me for no reasons-wth" ;) :rolleyes::troll:

and make sure your parents
common sense ain't common I hear.

It shouldn't be trial and error
see above

There’s no reason to put either you or the specimen in harms way solely for your desire for OW eye candy.
or his parents, assuming this person is legit, and not a troll, which I'm sure s/he is.

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
This is like loading a gun, putting it to your gut, and saying it might hurt but you have to conduct some trial and error test runs to be sure.

Honestly, as a firm believer in Darwinism, I could care less if you get bit. I expect it’ll either be that or it will escape. I don’t think either one would be a good choice for your experience level, and my only reasoning for trying to talk you out of it would be for the well being of the T and your unsuspecting family.

There are PLENTY of beautiful NW T’s that you could get instead, and quite a few that pose challenges with speed and vigor. Getting something like a P Cam for instance, help you get acquainted with a venom that does something and teleportation.

The reason most keepers wait until they’re more experienced for these species is out of respect for the T. There’s no reason to put either you or the specimen in harms way solely for your desire for OW eye candy.
Should try keeping a P. irminia before stabbing towards the eastern hemisphere

Braden

Arachnoknight
If you absolutely must get a new T, than I would go with an OBT.
Reasons include but are not limited to:
- Less potent venom
-Not as hard as Pokies(in terms of rehouse, pokies practically fly)
-I have read that some people got OBT's as a first and were successful, not that I recommend it)
Then again, pokies are less prone to bite for the most part(so I've heard)
Do what ya want ok, but be prepared for a challenge.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
Yeah I know about their venom and the pain/medical significance. I plan on informing my parents prior and seeing what they think. I plan on doing a lot of research before I get one tho and I've done some already
Though people don't die from the bites, they do sometimes end up in hospital for a few days or need stronger medicine from a doctor. We're in the middle of a pandemic and you're in a country where the hospitals are running out of space. That's something I'd strongly recommend taking into account right now. Some other pretty spider and waiting a year and this would all be a non-issue.

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Have you researched NW throughougly?
Acanthoscurria Geniculata has quite a feeding response and grows a fair size. If you want an intimidating spider,i'd go for that.

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
Yeah I have 1 Chile lmao. I've heard my fair share of warnings and people telling me not to but I'm getting one regardless, so save your breath if you've come here to tell me to not get one.
Then don't come back crying when you're experiencing heart palpations, muscle cramps all over your body, and vomiting. Playing with loaded guns is fun till you shoot your foot off.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
I’ve raised dozens of Pokies and have never even got a threat pose at ANY life stage or rehousing. If you provide them with an adequate enclosure all you really need to be mindful of is their speed bc they really dont seem to want to bite. That said if one got loose I’d be really nervous reaching into cabinets and putting shoes on

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
you are brand new and you want a Pokie or an OBT. You also say "Don't talk me out of it"
I won't.
Dispensing advice on fools is a waste of time.
My father gave me an old adage that I have used my whole life. It goes like this. "There is a difference between a stupid person and an idiot. Neither know much of anything, but a stupid person will listen to a smart person, while the idiot will not"

Last edited:

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
Oh boy, you’re in for one hell of a learning curve. I love that you’re asking about highly venomous and lightning fast spiders before even asking your parents permission. Priceless.

You should show your parents this thread.

jay444

Arachnosquire

I'd prefer a more active one, which was why I was considering a gbb. But they're not my favorite looks and attitude wise.
I know there will be some learning and trial and error here.

Ohh you'll get plenty of attitude from a GBB, trust me. Besides, it may be more appropriate for your skill set (based on the experience you quoted that you have) since it's a new world. What I'm trying to say is that Ts like an OBT or a pokie wont forgive any mistake you make; they will bolt, they will try to bite you, and so does the GBB. The thing is, if you screw up with a GBB (sometime you dont even need to screw up), you wont end up with a highly venomous spider running around your parent's house or have to face the aftermath of a OW bite. Being bitten by any OW really is no jokes. You'll most probably end up in ER and experience excruciating pain for weeks. Some people need months before achieving full recovery after being bit.

I'm not trying to scare you in any way, but from what I'm reading, you don't seem to realise how big of a deal getting one of these spiders is. Being informed and reading is rarely enough when dealing with theses. It's like buying a Lamborghini right when you get your licence. You might be fine, but you'll most likely crash it.

You should really take into consideration what everyone tells you here and take the time to think about it. In the end, if you want to accept the risks and if your parents are ok with it, its up to you to get one or not, but you may not enjoy it as much as if you wait a little until you're more prepared and experienced.