OBT MM death

Mrchancellor87

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

I have an P. murinus RCF MM which I recently acquired as part of a collection. I'm not sure if it's age. Anyway 3-4 hours ago I gave it a quick spray to put water on the web and it was alive and kicking, nice and quick as obts are.

I've now just noticed that it's dead, death curled. I flip it over and see this:

IMG_20201031_180024.jpg

Is it likely that mites have only recently moved onto it and it's poop by its mouth or is it something more sinister?

I'm slightly worried for my Tarantulas, as they've now been joined by many new additions.

Thanks for reading.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hi all,

I have an P. murinus RCF MM which I recently acquired as part of a collection. I'm not sure if it's age. Anyway 3-4 hours ago I gave it a quick spray to put water on the web and it was alive and kicking, nice and quick as obts are.

I've now just noticed that it's dead, death curled. I flip it over and see this:

View attachment 364515

Is it likely that mites have only recently moved onto it and it's poop by its mouth or is it something more sinister?

I'm slightly worried for my Tarantulas, as they've now been joined by many new additions.

Thanks for reading.
Well MMs are on borrowed time anyway. How long has it been mature?
If the mites are all over the body and not just around the chilicera then theyre probably a post mortem occurrence.

cold blood

Staff member
Mites are detrivores, meaning they eat dead things...so yes, they almost certainly congregated post mortem.

MMs dont live all that long, especially fast growing MMs. When you buy a MM, its important to know when it matured....if this t matured 5 months before you bought it, its time would naturally be very limited.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Mites move in extremely quickly after death. It's what they do. Mites did not kill him.

Mrchancellor87

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for your replies.

The mature male came as part of a collection so I didn't purchase it specifically, nor know when it last moulted. As you don't normally catch Ts dying, the death, speed of mites and the fact it's come from a new place just concerned me.

Such is life, RIP little orange dude.