OBT housing

Braden

Arachnoknight
I have read so many different care sheets and read alot of others experience but I keep getting mixed answers. DO OBT's burrow alot, are they fossorial, are they arboreal or semi-arboreal? It seems everybody has a different answer.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Most would consider them fossorial. Pretty sure they are. Lol
They will burrow given the opportunity.
And it is better for you if they do.
Mine tend to hang out in elevated web tunnels but usually retreat down through them to the substrate when disturbed.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I allowed mine to dig. She hung in her borrow most the time with just the tips of her toes visible. She lived a long and healthy live doing just that

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Give them the option. I have a sling, but can tell you it’s built out an extensive underground tunnel network which also connects to an above ground web castle.

I‘m not trying to face off with it every time I open up the enclosure to feed/water it, and find it tends to retreat first if I don’t catch it off guard. Retreating down into a burrow is much better than shooting out of the enclosure. I will say that I build my enclosures for the T, so I’m resigned to not seeing them for the most part if that’s what they choose.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
OBT are terrestrial and are not semi-arboreal, as for whether they're semi-arboreal or obligate burrower, it's highly dependent on how you keep them. OBT's will web and adapt to pretty much whatever you give them. I wouldn't consider an OBT to be semi-arboreal.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
terrestrial and fossorial, I don't find anything arboreal about them.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Pterinochilus murinus webs a lot, and digs a lot. I tend to give more room, and substrates for it so it can web freely, and dig freely.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
terrestrial and fossorial, I don't find anything arboreal about them.
Unless it’s the obt that belonged to the person that stuck their finger in the enclosure taunting it and it lunged and went all arboreal on that dudes behind.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
when I rescued mine I had to rehouse it. Her she is checking her new digs. Her starter burrow was beneath the snarl, right below her front feet. She dug and she webbed. AggyOBT.jpg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
How big was she when you got her? I’m impatiently waiting to get mine out of a deli cup. I have at least one molt to go.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
How big was she when you got her? I’m impatiently waiting to get mine out of a deli cup. I have at least one molt to go.
I rescued her as a fully grown, and cranky mature female on bad substrate. So my introduction to the hobby as a wet behind the ears, greenhorn was
to Rehouse an adult OBT. This was our first date, you'll notice the chunky bad substrate. This was from 2009. We had no idea how old she was when we got her. We had her for about 7 years and she died, so I am guessing
she was between 5 and 8 when we got her

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I rescued her as a fully grown, and cranky mature female on bad substrate. So my introduction to the hobby as a wet behind the ears, greenhorn was
to Rehouse an adult OBT. This was our first date, you'll notice the chunky bad substrate. This was from 2009. We had no idea how old she was when we got her. We had her for about 7 years and she died, so I am guessing
she was between 5 and 8 when we got her
:astonished: ...speechless and zero envy.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
:astonished: ...speechless and zero envy.
I loved her dearly. Needless to say, my learning curve was pretty steep and working with old worlds is like nothing to me. When you go from that on Day 1, every day that follows seems pretty easy

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I loved her dearly. Needless to say, my learning curve was pretty steep and working with old worlds is like nothing to me. When you go from that on Day 1, every day that follows seems pretty easy
I have two ow, one chilling upside down from the top of the enclosure which has been a sign it’s going into premolt because that’s the only time it does that and it’s showing other signs.

It‘ll be my first ow rehouse. I was going to rehouse it this week, but at this point going to hold off and deal with a 2”+ lightening bolt when we get to that bridge. Looking forward to it on paper, the actual deed not so much. I‘m guessing I have 3 weeks at least to mentally prepare.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
set up a safe zone, have MULTIPLE lines of escape prevention, have every potential escape route sealed off and remember to breathe. I have to rehouse my darlingi soon. Digging out an OW Fossorial, oh joy.

What's your lightning bolt?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
OBT is overrated, but I don't keep mines as fossorial as I prefer to keep them terrestrial to save space.

Braden

Arachnoknight
Ok, here is the setup I made! What do you think? I gave the option to burrow, lots of hiding places and web anchors and I think it looks pretty nice.

Attachments

Braden

Arachnoknight
I am getting a 3'' female so I gave her room to grow and web

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Add a water dish and done. If it was me I'd toss that little stick and rotate the angled stick so it is kind of over / around the entrance Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 4.12.59 PM.png

Hi
Imo too much substrate.If she digs she has nowhere to put the excess dirt and your substrate will be to the top.Also when she webs you will tear web every time you open the lid and have a pissed off spider on your hands.
Regards Konstantin