OBT has webbed over mealworm but hasn't eaten it.

TheTOwner

Arachnopeon
Hi, I gave my 5cm obt a pre-killed mealworm. I'm not sure its eaten it but it's been completely webbed over. What should I do? Wait to remove it later or just remove it now.

I also can't tell if my H Gigas sling is eating or not since it's so small lol but it's just resting above the mealworm

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
Hi, I gave my 5cm obt a pre-killed mealworm. I'm not sure its eaten it but it's been completely webbed over. What should I do? Wait to remove it later or just remove it now.
Saving it for later. Leave it in for 24 hours and if it hasn't disappeared by then, you can remove it.

TheTOwner

Arachnopeon
Saving it for later. Leave it in for 24 hours and if it hasn't disappeared by then, you can remove it.
Okay, he's new so all he does is hide in his burrow during the day. When I first got him he threatposed so I guess it's good he's settled in a bit. I don't think he'll leave the burrow during the day today at all so I'll remove it before I sleep

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
I mean I fed it to him last night so it's probanly been around 12 hours so should I wait another 24?
Ok, he may have scavenged it and left behind what he doesn't want. Up to you really, I thought you might have just fed him recently. I don't leave uneaten pre-killed feeders for more than 24 hours.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
i would just remove the webbed over worm and try feeding again few days later.the h gigas is probably eating or in process of eaing just remove next day or after it moves away from the worm with tiny slings its kinda hard to tell if they are eating. i usually just keep offering fresh cuts of meal worms daily and just remove the next day. that way i know it can feed when/if it wants to without all the stress of staring at a chunk of worm trying to figure out if the sling fed or not. after sling gets bigger you will catch it dragging the chunk of worm aboutalong with finding the shriveled reains of the chunk etc.

TheTOwner

Arachnopeon
i would just remove the webbed over worm and try feeding again few days later.the h gigas is probably eating or in process of eaing just remove next day or after it moves away from the worm with tiny slings its kinda hard to tell if they are eating. i usually just keep offering fresh cuts of meal worms daily and just remove the next day. that way i know it can feed when/if it wants to without all the stress of staring at a chunk of worm trying to figure out if the sling fed or not. after sling gets bigger you will catch it dragging the chunk of worm aboutalong with finding the shriveled reains of the chunk etc.
Thanks, I decided to take the worms out. The sling was definitely eating because the mealworm inside there was hollow inside. Still not sure if the obt ate so I took both old mealworms out and offered them both prekilled again, but the h gigas sling only got half a mealworm. If the obt doesn't touch the mealworm again, I'll leave it for a few days. I'd like to fatten up the h gigas as fast as possible cus its so small right now.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
You should pay attention to the size of the abdomen compared to it's caripce. Abdomen same size or slightly bigger is totally fine. Over feeding is imo a no no unless you have a specific reason for doing so outside the realm of general keeping.

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
One of my obts ate half a mealworm and webbed it up, leaving there for more than a week, then I saw the mealworm gone and the spider eating something. I guess they save it for later.

pandaking

Arachnopeon
One of my obts ate half a mealworm and webbed it up, leaving there for more than a week, then I saw the mealworm gone and the spider eating something. I guess they save it for later.
That's good to hear. I hope trapdoor spiders are the same way because I fed my trapdoor spider a while back, and she decided that it should actually be a piece of decor and webbed it face down so that it's standing up like a stick right outside of her trapdoor. It was so weird, but I hope she gets around to eating it.