OBT dieing or molting? please help, picture!

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
this is in response to my last post about my obt, i thought she was molting, but shes gotten worse.

shes in her tank and shes kinda slanted on her side, its as if she cant support her own waight.. ive tried to ease her up and help her move but she just kind of twitches her legs.. she tried to move but failed, which is why i think she cant hold her own weight.

the reson i thought she was molting was because she stopped eating and she has dark lines up her legs, like slits.. and shes a dull brown color instead of bright orange.

so if she is trying, could she be stuck?
also i know these spiders prefure it dry, and i have given her water and even put water near her mouth.. but does it sound like dehidration?
anyway a pic is attached, so please tell me what you think :)

thankyou all

Tcrazy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Fist thing dont mess with her if she is molting you can hurt her by moving her. best thing to do is check in on her very few hours. and see if she molted. thats all i can say for now...

Crazyspidergirl

Arachnopeon
it looks like she is dying to me. they are normallly on their back when they moult and r not tht weak. whats the normal temperament of the spider?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Could also be an upright moult. Those look odd. You can only wait.

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
shes been like this for 2 days now.. before she was moving around her tank but acting very lathargic, then she was half on her log, half off in a weird twisted position like she couldnt support herself.. then she just sat there like she is now not moving...

her temprement normally is agressive if touched and eating well. although she would always hide away she would move fast if you desturbed her, now i can prod her and she just moves a leg slowly. she also tries to move but fails missrably :(

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It could be a moltmatt under her, but it doesn't look like very normal to me. I've had Ts molt upright before though. Good luck =)

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
the darkening up of those lines makes me think a molt is coming...i was gonna say spray some water near its mouth, but i guess you have that covered. i've never had a t molt upright, so i can't say exactly what that looks like before hand..but it doesn't look like a full fledged death curl to me. good luck, and keep us posted.

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well i hope shes ok, i more worried shes dying, last time she molted she did so fine and the tank was the same tempreture and humidity.. ie not much as i said people advised me they like it dry.

but as you say she could be molting, there are signs for both molting and dehidration.

i just hope if she is dehidrated and i wait to see if shes molting i wont be too late to save her...

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She's not in a death curl and nothing looks particularly unusual from that pic alone. However, given the chance that she is molting, all the moving and poking you are doing is probably causing more damage than good. If she has access to water, then I would just leave her be for a few days. I had a T had difficulty walking and strange jerky movements in the days before a molt once, so it's possible that that's what it is.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Doesn't look like a molting mat to me.

I'd make sure she had access to water (just access - not soaked) and watch her. If she's having trouble moving, etc. there could be some sort of problem.

Any idea if it was WC or CB?

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i dont know if she was wild caught or captive bred.. i got her from reptiles plus in the uk.. if anyone knows of them..

she was an adult when i got her and she has molted once before.. which she did fine.
basically up to about a week ago she was fine, active, although spent alot of time in her hide, eating walking fine...

then she stopped eating and now this.. which made me think molt.. but now im not so sure

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
she started to deathcurl.. or what looked like it, so i carfully put her in a icu tub, basically a tub with damp tissue in it.. she then moved her legs abit so im just gonna leave her and hope for the best.. if she was molting i just took my best judgment as i have had tarantulas death curl before so im hoping im right and i can save her... wish me luck..

how often should i check on her and top up the dampness in the tub?

thankyou all :) :(

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
whats an OBT?

An OBT is the tarantula in the picture in the first post also known as a Pterinochilus murinus. OBT means Orange Baboon Tarantula, Orange Bitey Thingy..lol To the OP, I hope things turn out well, OBTs are one of the hardiest Ts and can survive in pretty much any environment as they adapt well. What's pondering me is what caused all this to happen to your beautiful specimen. :(

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my g. rosea done that last fall for 2 weeks. had pretty much given her up for dead when she was all the sudden back to normal. no molting, nothing unusual after that. have no idea what was wrong with her but she's fine now.

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i dont know whats causing it.. i used to have a pinktoa in the same tank who died.. but i cleaned the tank out... and i dont know of any diseases that would lay dorment for about 5 months then affect the T.

whats sadder is im selling my whole tarantula collection to a guy in a couple of weeks so if she does servive im getting rid of her anyway :(
oh well.. when i have money again i fully intend to get more tarantulas.

Inuleki

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Old age?? :?
could be. the same sort of thing happened with my big female P. cancerides a few years back. but I have also seen situations like this where for no reason the T was fine a few days later, so it's all just touch and go.

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
maybe i dont know how old she is though.. and she should live to a ripe old age so im not so sure...

but who knows