OBT didnt get me but...

RoseT

Arachnosquire
The dang feeder cricket did..lol..Lil punk..

I cracked one side of the deli cup a while ago to feed my half inch p murinus sling when the cricket tried to escape i gently pushed it back in with my left ring finger and i felt a needle like prick sting...I closed the lid and saw that the sling already had it in its fangs, man its FAST!!...So I guess It could have been the sling?...Im not suffering from any redness or swelling or anything like that in the area, but I still feel a bit of a mild (very mild) burn....Hmmm?.....Could it have been the sling?.... I looked up cricket bites and found that they indeed have a noticeable bite in defense...Im not really sure who got me, im sure if it was the sling I would have noticeable symptoms....But Im doing fine... =) Just thought id share.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
A cricket at that size probably wouldn't be able to penetrate the skin at all (unless your feeding your sling full grown crickets). From what I've read, crickets have bitten people but it is actually quite rare to be bitten and actually feel the bite. At least in my own experience it has never happened and I've handled ALOT of crickets in my days.

More than likely the sling got you, but it most likely didn't inject any venom or such a small amount it probably wouldn't be noticeable anyways. Don't worry too much either way, your life is not in jeapardy ;)

pok2010

Arachnopeon
yea thats not a crik bite my friend {D

iv been bit by a crik and it really isnt bad, nor does it burn :} Welcome to the world of being bit ;P

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Ha I figured there was a great chance it could have been the sling. Crazy how quick they are at such a small size. Next time I'm gonna have to drop that cricket (pinhead) in when she's in her burrow. Thanks for clearing some stuff up guys.

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
I have watched full grown crickets bite me and didn't feel a thing must have been your little guy

seezilla

Arachnopeon
I have been bit by a cricket. Hurt like all get out. But that's because it bit me on the sensitive skin inside my arm. (Fell from the ceiling at work, I guess, and I didn't even know the little jerk was on my arm til it bit me) Didn't penetrate skin or even leave a mark. So I would go with what everyone else said. Your lil sling got you. :p I hope it was indeed a dry bite because I heard OBTs have some pretty potent venom.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
you should get a set of long tweezers that have a offset angled head...thats what i have they are about 6 inch...i use them more than can be imagined.....and if you think the obt is fast, i got 5 of them all slings, and i also got 3 togo starburst slings, now them things can be outta the cup and half way cross the room before your eyes tell your brain it happened..haha

Ha I figured there was a great chance it could have been the sling. Crazy how quick they are at such a small size. Next time I'm gonna have to drop that cricket (pinhead) in when she's in her burrow. Thanks for clearing some stuff up guys.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
lol catfish! Totally happened to me the other day when I got my first one. It's about 2" right now and I couldn't believe how quick it was. It never moved once when I had the lid off of its shipping enclosure and was all nice and slow moving it over to mine. I wanted it to find its hide I had set of for it so I put my paintbrush in to coax it over and it just took off like a bat outa hell! made it a good four or five feet away before I could even move!!! I make sure to keep the catch cup in hand whenever I go in to do cage maintenence on that fiesty little sucker :D

RoseT

Arachnosquire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxXrHc9sflA

Found this escape video on youtube DANG!!...lol....I got a plastic 2 gallon jar with a screw on lid from walmart that Im gonna transfer it to (once it gets bigger) and keep it in for the rest of its life time. Strictly an observation spider IMO...

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
oh yeah...i got 3 lil slings bout 1 inchish...and like lightning...i hade one marked with a arrow pointing up next to his species, cause he was the craziest one, and now another one stole the title...:D

lol catfish! Totally happened to me the other day when I got my first one. It's about 2" right now and I couldn't believe how quick it was. It never moved once when I had the lid off of its shipping enclosure and was all nice and slow moving it over to mine. I wanted it to find its hide I had set of for it so I put my paintbrush in to coax it over and it just took off like a bat outa hell! made it a good four or five feet away before I could even move!!! I make sure to keep the catch cup in hand whenever I go in to do cage maintenence on that fiesty little sucker :D

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My guess is also the spiderling. I've been bitten twice in my life by tarantulas, and it happened during the same 24 hour period. I was separating out 1500 spiderlings from an L. parahybana tank and got tagged twice. Took me a day to separate all 1500. The bite happened toward the end of the 24 hour period. I did feel the effects of the venom for about 15 minutes or so. Had to sit down and take a break from separating. I didn't notice them bite me, but my hand started itching. That's when I noticed the two little sets of bite marks. Made me feel a little nausea. No pain, though, just itching and a short period of nausea. So sounds like you lucked out a little bit on that!

I use to feed my avics by hand, the adults. I don't recommend it of course, but I figured if they could pluck crickets out of tweezers, why not my hand? So I would present them with a meal, a cricket held onto by its legs, and they would grab my fingers with their legs and extend their fangs out and lightly pluck the cricket out from my fingers, and then let go of my hand. Lol!

I doubt I would try that with an obt, though! :D

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you should get a set of long tweezers that have a offset angled head...thats what i have they are about 6 inch...i use them more than can be imagined.....and if you think the obt is fast, i got 5 of them all slings, and i also got 3 togo starburst slings, now them things can be outta the cup and half way cross the room before your eyes tell your brain it happened..haha
Tell me about it, just changed and cleaned vials for my 20 heteroscodra maculata slings today, fast they are, but more scared than pissed;)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yep i know what you mean...i confenscated the tweezers off my gf, and i use them for every critter i got from slings to scorps to millipedes to centipedes to assassins to true spiders to my widow to my green lynx to even my beardie to geckos to the list will go on for a while but you get it...haha

Tell me about it, just changed and cleaned vials for my 20 heteroscodra maculata slings today, fast they are, but more scared than pissed;)