OBT Communal Experiment

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I already have the pics on my computer...I could have them up in 5 mins. :}

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Reading that other thread makes me glad you didn't choose me to trade for your OBT slings. :}

Good pics though.

--Joe

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I started with 9 2nd instar P. murinus sac mates a year ago, every time I rehouse a couple more are missing. As of the last rehousing a few weeks ago I'm down to one, pretty much a gradual but total failure. Even though they're cheap I wouldn't bother trying again, though I know other people have had some success.

I've had a Hysterocrates group going for over a year also started with 9 slings. Lost two early on that just curled up and died and still have the other 7.

My 3 different H. incei groups are all still going (minus a lot of matured males) after two years with 2nd generation slings all over the place.

Started with 1.2.0 trio's of both P. formosa and P. rufilata almost 3 years ago, both males are long gone/matured and the females are still together and doing fine.

Bill

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
wow thats pretty cool.
so theyre arboreal?
They have been called arboreal, they have been called terrestrial.

I call them heavy webbers. They'll web up the enclosure no matter how you set it up. :)

--Joe

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

I call them heavy webbers. They'll web up the enclosure no matter how you set it up. :)

--Joe
yeap...heavy webbers alright.
i think i'll get a taller enclosure.
pretty cool seeing those arboreal-like webs.

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

--Joe
I've had an adult female for about a year now. The only thing in her enclosure is a long piece of bamboo set diagonally to fit. She webbed the entrance and a second "door" further down in, and that's all she's ever webbed. Recently she came out and started to web just a little towards the back of the cage, changed her mind and went back to the bamboo! She had the cage before I bought her very well webbed up. I think she just likes the tube shaped burrow.

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can sort of see a "hierarchy" going on. The larger one are sort of pushing the smaller ones around, and they look like they are getting the most space in the web.

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
BTW, the tube has gotten MUCH larger. It stretches across the top in a large "sheet" web.

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So, all but 2 of them have moved into the larger tube web.

You'd be amazed what 15 baby spiders could do in 48 hours. lol

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
So, all but 2 of them have moved into the larger tube web.

You'd be amazed what 15 baby spiders could do in 48 hours. lol
I was amazed at what ONE did in that that length of time, so I just giggle with delight at the thought of 15 of those little buggers going to town. :cool:

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With their low cost and them being on my list anyways, I might want to do something like this when I buy OBT slings. I'd seperate mine late, too.

So when they're REALLY little, how on earth do you provide ventilation for them? I read their slings when they emerge from the sac are very small.

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All is still going good.

I counted 13 last night, the other 2 were most likely hiding.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
there are lots trying OBT communes over here in the UK at the moment.
Check out some of the UK spider/reptile forums...interesting reading.
paul

jb7741

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wussed out and separated mine. I wasn't willing to lose any.

Good job on trying it out.