OBT Bite?

dinodude

Arachnopeon
Hello,

So Im fairly new to keeping tarantulas (1 year) and 6 hours ago my OBT grabbed a cricket of my tweezers but grabbed the tweezers as well, got confused I guess and left it while going straight for my thumb.

My brother told me its not lethal or anything but its been 6 hours, its pretty painful, its swolen, its turning a lot darker and I had to rush to bathroom cause I was feeling sick. We've decided to go to a hospital which I was trying to avoid, but Im getting kinda scared. We already applied Benadryl cream on the bite what else should we do?

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Panicking will just make you feel a whole lot worse (I know it's easier said than done). P. murinus bites won't kill you or damage you long term. But they are extremely painful and some symptoms can last days possibly a couple of weeks ( though the worst will be over before long).
People also take anti histimines for the swelling and muscle relaxants for the cramps. You also need to keep the bite area clean to prevent secondary infection.
You can also take painkillers such as paracetamol and ibuprofen. You can take both together but make sure you don't exceed the recommended maximum doses.
Hope you feel better soon!

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I'm sure you'll be okay.
But this is a good example of why your tongs should not be close enough to the spider for them to grab.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hello,

So Im fairly new to keeping tarantulas (1 year) and 6 hours ago my OBT grabbed a cricket of my tweezers but grabbed the tweezers as well, got confused I guess and left it while going straight for my thumb.

My brother told me its not lethal or anything but its been 6 hours, its pretty painful, its swolen, its turning a lot darker and I had to rush to bathroom cause I was feeling sick. We've decided to go to a hospital which I was trying to avoid, but Im getting kinda scared. We already applied Benadryl cream on the bite what else should we do?
Have you not made any research? If you are a beginner, why did you get this type of tarantula???? Why do you we tell beginner not to get this speicies until they are more experienced

Poonjab

Arachnoking
You’re going to live. You’re probably going to be in pain the next week or so. It is smart that you went hospital just Incase any other symptoms arise. Let this be a valuable lesson on why you never tong feed. Drop food in an let T do it’s thing. Hope you feel better soon. Keep us updated.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hello,

This is one for the history books, the hospital will get it right when they tell you it's a spider bite ;) You're probably in for some pain depending on how much venom was pumped in, but no one has died from a tarantula bite, so don't panic. You can read old bite reports about P. murinus here. When you're feeling better, I hope you will leave you own addition to the P. murinus bite reports (you can be the first in the "new" review area). Information on how to leave a bite report can be found here and the "new" report page for P. murinus can be found here.

Hope that you're feeling better and please keep us informed :)

Have you not made any research? If you are a beginner, why did you get this type of tarantula???? Why do you we tell beginner not to get this speicies until they are more experienced
I think this discussion has been had before, way back in the day, on the forums. While there are many reasons why this is not the greatest beginner tarantula, there is, and always will be one reason that it can be a good one, they're damn near indestructible. I've always felt that with the proper research, preparation, and a healthy dose of caution they can be an appropriate beginner tarantula. :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Judging from what you posted either you was lucky (which means, not a full, wet bite) or your pain level is pretty good. Because in general an 'OBT' bite is more painful from what I know and what you posted, symptoms talking, wasn't transcendental.

Don't worry. It's ok. 'Orange Bobs' loves to joke a bit.

dinodude

Arachnopeon
Hello guys! Its been rough for the last 4 days but Im starting using my thumb again and feel a bit better. Even though I explained the type of tarantula and such, hospital kept me for 2 days and then let me go home.

Everything is good and except from getting sick twice a day Im feeling better and I dont feel the bite so hot all the time (but it is getting darker and darker).

I want to thank everyone here that responded and helped me a lot. Especially from panicking out of control.

I want to make clear something, Im 26 years old and Ive been keeping exotic animals for the last 12 years. Iguanas, bearded dragons, geckos, scorpions, and for the last year Ive made an entire section in my bedroom where I keep tarantulas. Started with a b. emilia then a chromatopelma, then a b. bohmei, and so on. Ended up with 12 of them.

Im in love with the hobby, always careful, always did my research. Never had an accident. Now my sin (since I got my OBT which it was my first old world) is that I understimated the speed. She moved super fast, I knew she was hungry and my mistake was trying to motivate her to come out by holding the feeder on the web so she can grab it. The plan was to let it go once she was coming out, but she came running upside down, ended up on the top of the "entrance" of the web instead running at a straight line and ended up on my tweezers. I panicked and I was more afraid of hurting her by dropping or shoving her so instead of leaving the tweezers I supported her with them and she got a bite of my thumb.

All this is what my brother told me he saw because all I remember is seeing my thumb getting bigger and bigger.

I know I made a mistake. But it had nothing to do with me being too new for keeping an OBT but more of lack of "respect" because damn old worlds are fast I guess. I know how to care for every animal I have often going to extremes to have everything as they should.

That is all. Thanks again for the support.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Hello guys! Its been rough for the last 4 days but Im starting using my thumb again and feel a bit better. Even though I explained the type of tarantula and such, hospital kept me for 2 days and then let me go home.

Everything is good and except from getting sick twice a day Im feeling better and I dont feel the bite so hot all the time (but it is getting darker and darker).

I want to thank everyone here that responded and helped me a lot. Especially from panicking out of control.

I want to make clear something, Im 26 years old and Ive been keeping exotic animals for the last 12 years. Iguanas, bearded dragons, geckos, scorpions, and for the last year Ive made an entire section in my bedroom where I keep tarantulas. Started with a b. emilia then a chromatopelma, then a b. bohmei, and so on. Ended up with 12 of them.

Im in love with the hobby, always careful, always did my research. Never had an accident. Now my sin (since I got my OBT which it was my first old world) is that I understimated the speed. She moved super fast, I knew she was hungry and my mistake was trying to motivate her to come out by holding the feeder on the web so she can grab it. The plan was to let it go once she was coming out, but she came running upside down, ended up on the top of the "entrance" of the web instead running at a straight line and ended up on my tweezers. I panicked and I was more afraid of hurting her by dropping or shoving her so instead of leaving the tweezers I supported her with them and she got a bite of my thumb.

All this is what my brother told me he saw because all I remember is seeing my thumb getting bigger and bigger.

I know I made a mistake. But it had nothing to do with me being too new for keeping an OBT but more of lack of "respect" because damn old worlds are fast I guess. I know how to care for every animal I have often going to extremes to have everything as they should.

That is all. Thanks again for the support.
Thanks for the update. Is there anything you can compare the pain of feeling too? Did you have irregular heart beat?

Any way you can share pictures of the bite on your thumb and even the Tarantula?

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
It’s good to hear that you are on the mend. Though not fatal...pain is pain, and extreme pain is horrible.

I hope that you are over your tribulations soon.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
How long were the tongs? If the spider missed the cricket and hit your thumb perhaps the tongs were way too short?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Glad you’re feeling better dude. Hard lesson, but a lesson none-the-less...for everyone.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Glad you're on the mend and appreciate you updating us. I was wondering how you were doing.

The fact that the hospital kept you in for 2 days is a surprise to me and shows that there were obviously some complications (temporary palpitations perhaps?), that they thought best to monitor.

At least you're over the worst now. Hope it won't be too long before the bite fully heals and you can go back to normal.

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
Just dropped by to say I hope you feel better, and please submit a bite report when you are up to it - it's important info to share.

Swagg

Arachnoknight
Glad you are feeling better man. Don’t forget to post the bite report when you are feeling better. We can all learn from it.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
I'm really glad you're feeling better!

I might as well not tell you to make a bite report again since everyone's already said it.

Archeopterix

Arachnopeon
I'm saving this thread for the next beginner who wants an OBT. Thanks for posting.
Was my first T and I've had no problems. You have to go out of your way or make fundamental mistakes to get bitten. In this case it sounds like he tried to tease the tarantula.

Swagg

Arachnoknight
Was my first T and I've had no problems. You have to go out of your way or make fundamental mistakes to get bitten. In this case it sounds like he tried to tease the tarantula.
Let's try and be positive about the whole thing. He is fine, the tarantula is too. I'm sure he learned a valuable lesson, and until he posts the bite report we won't know the full story. Whatever happened he paid for it. Try to not rub it in lol.

boina

Lady of the mites
And from your own single, lucky experience you draw fundamental conclusions...