OBT Behavior

DarrylKent

Arachnopeon
My OBT has completely built a web wall in a corner of the tank where she is hanging out instead of the burrows she normally stays in. Could that be a protection thing before molting? She did not eat her last feeding so thats why i was curious about the potential molt.

Last edited:

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My OBT has completely built a web wall in a corner of the tank where she is hanging out instead of the burrows she normally stays in. Could that be a protection thing before molting? She did not eat her last feeding so thats why i was curious about the potential molt.
mine is doing the exact same thing i was told it could be preparing to molt...or is just being an OBT :rolleyes: mine hasn't eaten either

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah i was told not to worry about it it's normal i guess
Yep. It's normal. Three of my adult females are webbed in pretty much as you describe. One molted a month or so ago, another MIGHT be sitting on a sac. These guys make shelters whereever it suits them.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
---------- Post added at 03:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 AM ----------

[/COLOR]Now that mine has the webbing of the enclouser is really complex it just sits atop it all the time, till you acccidentally tap the counter then it vanishes... l

kingbaboon136

Arachnopeon
Hi that is totally normal obt's can act arborel some times all my obt does is sit on top in his web and only goes down for food or water.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi that is totally normal obt's can act arborel some times all my obt does is sit on top in his web and only goes down for food or water.
An animal that stays within 6 inches of the ground is not being "arboreal". Building a web against the vertical surface of a cage is still not arboreal - they could build similar webs in the wild against the sides of rocks and still be 100% terrestrial. If a tarantula lives 15 or 20 feet up in a tree - that's arboreal. There are true arboreal tarantulas, but they rarely get to "show us their stuff" in captivity.