- Feb 14, 2011
I cut down some sticks from a tree that is either oak or hickory. I baked them at 220 for 2 hours and they are completly dry now. Is it safe to put in the enclosures with my Ts?
+1Yes but watch out for mold. Usually the mold occurs were the wood hits the substrate.
The cork is filled with suberin, which is a waterproofing polymer which is both bacterial and fungi resistant. Those cells are dead at maturity and bone dry unlike wood which is filled with cells which were busy storing sugars and happily alive.I've tried wood from the backyard too. Most of time, it grows mold. I highly recommend cork bark. It doesn't mold, and it has a very good texture and looks great. You can probably get cork bark tubes at a petstore or reptile expo and cut it down to size.