O.violaceopes swimming

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
This morning I went to go mist a couple enclosures, I must’ve startled my omothymus violaceopes and he went running into his water dish. The water dish is maybe a little oversized for him so his entire body is submerged. He was in there for Atleast a minute and still was when I left the spider room. I read something about t’s holding their breath for 30 minutes at a time so I’m not worried, just impressed lol. I’ve kept t’s for 16 years and never seen one total submerge itself in water and just hang out there, anyone else experience this odd behavior?

Last edited:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I’ve seen a few dipping their fangs into water, but I have not yet seen any of them completely diving / submerging into.

cold blood

Staff member
. I read something about t’s holding their breath for 30 minutes at a time
Well thats not exactly true....ts do not breathe like you or me, instead air passes over their book lungs.....when a t goes in water, its hairs catch beads of air, which essentially allows for them to "breathe" while submerged.....and because the book lungs arent super effective/effecient, it can take a long time for them to use up that trapped air.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This morning I went to go mist a couple enclosures, I must’ve startled my omothymus violaceopes and he went running into his water dish. The water dish is maybe a little oversized for him so his entire body is submerged. He was in there for Atleast a minute and still was when I left the spider room. I read something about t’s holding their breath for 30 minutes at a time so I’m not worried, just impressed lol. I’ve kept t’s for 16 years and never seen one total submerge itself in water and just hang out there, anyone else experience this odd behavior?
There’s a nice video out there of an Avic swimming in a river.

H gigas is a known water lover that will go under water.

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
Well thats not exactly true....ts do not breathe like you or me, instead air passes over their book lungs.....when a t goes in water, its hairs catch beads of air, which essentially allows for them to "breathe" while submerged.....and because the book lungs arent super effective/effecient, it can take a long time for them to use up that trapped air.
Very good information, thank you! I wish I would have gotten some photos of him doing this.

cold blood

Staff member
Very good information, thank you! I wish I would have gotten some photos of him doing this.
A lot of individual ts of many species will sometimes dive into water when spooked. I have had a T. ockerti submerged for over an hour, a sazamai that literally does it every time spooked....
Its this girl here....I cant locate the pic of her totally submerged unfortunately.

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
It happened again, and this time I was able to get a pic if anyone is interested!! Entirely submerged all but her abdomen lol, crazy girl. This is same spider who initially did it the first time. 06FD705B-3E47-4FBB-B33A-ECFAEBEC71BC.jpeg 83610E0B-C01A-456C-AED1-53206CFCDF03.jpeg