O.ecristatus gravid?

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi!

I got that scorp about 10 months ago she is wc and never molted under my care and for the past few months refused all food offered to her and she still very very fat but yesterday she finally eat a cricket.

do you guys think she could be gravid?
If she would be in premolt she would not accept food right?

Anyway, here's some pics.

Thanks!

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She looks totally gravid to me...in fact if you look closely at the 2nd pic on the right hand side just over from the 2 middle tergite's you can actually see the legs of some of the unborn scorplings.......so there shouldn't be long to go now..Good luck.;)

scorpionguy

Arachnopeon
how large is the specimen? it could very well be in need of one more molt. the telson seems a little premature to me.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She looks totally gravid to me...in fact if you look closely at the 2nd pic on the right hand side just over from the 2 middle tergite's you can actually see the legs of some of the unborn scorplings.......so there shouldn't be long to go now..Good luck.;)
I don't know bro. Doesn't the scorplings come out in sack? if they are then it's impossible to see the legs. It's probably going to molt.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you look closely you can see the new tergite plates under the stretched skin between the old ones. definitely premoult

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know bro. Doesn't the scorplings come out in sack? if they are then it's impossible to see the legs. It's probably going to molt.
To be honest i don't know whether it's possible or impossible to see an almost developed embryo though the embryo sack/abdomen wall...these are some very fine membranes..!
Maybe a contour catching the light creating a shadow!

There is one thing though.
I have never seen a so heavily pre moulting female eat although i have had one of my own gravid jacksonii's eat (heartily!) 2 days before it gave birth.

On the other hand though i would have thought that a heavily gravid Opistophthalmus boehmi? would have been sealed of down it's burrow and not wandering around so maybe your're both right quiz/scorpionguy :worship: .. ;)

I guess we'll have to wait until something happens and carpetpython updates this thread.

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok ok .. i've just blown the pictures up a couple of hundred percent and can see that what i thought were legs was just a bit of pixel splatter and although i can't seem to find an answer in TBS i haven't heard references to "visible legs" before..............................suk!

This spontaneous writing from the hip has got to stop!!!!;)