Nyan’s crazy socal rock flipping adventures!

NYAN

Arachnoking
Homalonychus sp.
2D4AAF92-9F5C-4518-B014-CA67C22DC46F.jpeg

Philodromidae sp. with egg sac
4E5CF7C8-D3D5-4FF8-B91E-0F34746CF67C.jpeg

1.1 Loxosceles deserta
D86BECA3-D5E1-4A61-A8FB-D4B4325E2C06.jpeg

Plectreurys sp. female with sac
C09D582A-69BE-4FB4-8228-D4BE170014A4.jpeg

Paravaejovensis waeringi
874D5534-7BD7-4522-87AC-ABFB8E9CE954.jpeg

Female Solpugid I found in the house
80F5FEA4-19CD-4BC6-AD05-3F26BE01E7B7.jpeg

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
I wish we had copperheads. They are cool.
Nah man it's too dangerous to even walk though the woods in some places. Rattle snakes are also a pain. Especially when ya got a two year old running around the yard.

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
Who told you that? Snakes are pretty reluctant to bite humans ya know. Even if you step on one it won’t necesairly bite you.

A good reason to supervise them.
I have family members that have had copperheads lay it to them just running through the yard. Iv had them strike at me when I lift lumber in my yard. Clearly you haven't had much experience with copperheads. You can follow behind your kid as close as you want. If there's a snake in the grass even the best parent could miss it. I don't take chances. But that's me.
Books and internet can tell you many things but it also makes people think they know it all.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I have family members that have had copperheads lay it to them just running through the yard. Iv had them strike at me when I lift lumber in my yard. Clearly you haven't had much experience with copperheads. You can follow behind your kid as close as you want. If there's a snake in the grass even the best parent could miss it. I don't take chances. But that's me.
Books and internet can tell you many things but it also makes people think they know it all.
People also make mistakes assuming fear is aggression. If you surprise a snake and get too close it may strike in fear, but casual walking past a snake won't cause a strike. Example - when my brother lived in Texas he was deer hunting with a couple of friends. They gathered in a close circle to talk quietly about strategy, when my brother looked down and noticed a copperhead coiled in the center of the circle. My brother said they were all close enough that it could have easily struck any of them, but it did nothing. My brother and his friends all backed away and left it, continuing their hunt.

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
People also make mistakes assuming fear is aggression. If you surprise a snake and get too close it may strike in fear, but casual walking past a snake won't cause a strike. Example - when my brother lived in Texas he was deer hunting with a couple of friends. They gathered in a close circle to talk quietly about strategy, when my brother looked down and noticed a copperhead coiled in the center of the circle. My brother said they were all close enough that it could have easily struck any of them, but it did nothing. My brother and his friends all backed away and left it, continuing their hunt.
I do believe this. But I'd rather not have them. It makes a fun, beautiful, relaxing place a nightmare. What if a kid is running past the porch and a copperhead getting out of the sun gets spooked and bites the kid. Then you have a problem. And this is true with about any animal in fear. But if people want to leave a copperhead under the porch to increase the chances of that happening, thats all up to them. Fear, aggression, either way is dangerous.

In the woods I'll keep walking. But in my yard it's different. That's understandable to anyone with kids.
(Supervised)

Last edited:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I do believe this. But I'd rather not have them. It makes a fun, beautiful, relaxing place a nightmare. What if a kid is running past the porch and a copperhead getting out of the sun gets spooked and bites the kid. Then you have a problem. And this is true with about any animal in fear. But if people want to leave a copperhead under the porch to increase the chances of that happening, thats all up to them. Fear, aggression, either way is dangerous.

In the woods I'll keep walking. But in my yard it's different. That's understandable to anyone with kids.
(Supervised)
I'm okay with removing them from your yard - Alive. A snake hook, a garbage can, a drive to a wild area, problem solved.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I have family members that have had copperheads lay it to them just running through the yard.
What?

Clearly you haven't had much experience with copperheads.
Clearly

Seriously? What makes them any different than another snake?

Okay. What is the best source of information?

But in my yard it's different.
Keep in mind who is invading in who’s territory.

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
What?
It means when your "hit" "bit" either one. I guess it's slang you don't get.

Clearly

Seriously? What makes them any different than another snake?
The the main snake we have here... That's was the point of my whole conversation. :banghead:

Okay. What is the best source of information? Books. Experience. Alot of Internet sources aren't that reliable. Good example- people reading care sheets on a tarantula and thinking they know how to keep it. Is the care sheet right?

Keep in mind who is invading in who’s territory.
:D

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
You guys would be good school teachers. But let me stick to a safe home : ) I appreciate your help but now we ruined a thread with things that dont really amount to anything. Good luck to you both.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
ThorsCarapace is 100% right about kids. They're pretty stupid, and they do pretty dumb things. Supervision isn't going to cut it. When my brothers were young they would purposefully try to jump out of people's arms because they didn't realize it could hurt them. Copperheads have very good camouflage.

Having said that, NYAN clearly runs into venomous snakes and manages not to get bitten, which should be food for thought for anyone who thinks that snakes just bite because they feel like it.

I wish I had a car going through these kinds of threads. Getting to areas to look for animals would be much easier.

NYAN

Arachnoking
AC4B8E4C-D9DC-40DE-B525-D0B184906D96.jpeg
Can you see it? I spotted this big friend from 10 feet away behind a bunch of this dead brush. I was surprised
6192DAEA-0F93-4B30-8313-2063302DF68A.jpeg

00415761-5D22-4138-835C-0C62C258BB64.jpeg