NW Species

kooky

Arachnosquire
As another person who does not own and probably will never own a Queen, @kooky
There is not enough substrate, and it is way too wet in there.
Ah so it needs a lot more substrate then. Thank you. Now i know IF i ever get one xD

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ah so it needs a lot more substrate then. Thank you. Now i know IF i ever get one xD
They're great but are pet holes. If you know how to set the enclosure up, you can peep in from time to time to admire their beauty. Just don't get caught, they get cranky...:embarrassed:

Mine just molted (shredded the old exo :sorry:) and is a beautiful dark burnt orange color right now.

netr

Arachnoknight
I live in the UK so i was wondering, when my Dubai mature, will they need a heat mat to breed or do they just breed slower at room temp. It would be nice to have a slow but constant supply of babies to feed to my small t's.
As far as I can tell, they can be kept without a heat mat but won't breed. I keep mine in a big black plastic storage container from Ikea, with a translucent lid. I drilled holes into the lid for ventilation. There's no substrate so that their faeces, which are dry and innocuous, can be cleaned out more easily from time to time. They live in stacked 'apartments' of empty egg cartons, which are periodically replaced when they get too soiled. The cartons pile up at one end of the container, while at the other end are placed fresh fruit and veg on a shallow plastic tray. The end under the cartons is the end you want to be heating - not the whole bottom of the container, for the food will spoil more quickly.

That's pretty much it. I usually don't give adult Dubia to tarantulas, for their carapaces are robust and seem capable of breaking fangs (happened once with a G. pulchra, though it caused no significant issues for the spider). It also guarantees the container has a substantial number of breeding individuals. Replace food every day or two and clean out the container whenever excrement builds up, and otherwise they take care of themselves. I've had this colony for a couple of years now, always in the hundreds!

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
I live in the UK so i was wondering, when my Dubai mature, will they need a heat mat to breed or do they just breed slower at room temp. It would be nice to have a slow but constant supply of babies to feed to my small t's.
Ideally yes, the warmer they are the more they will breed. If you want them to breed well, you'll want them to be at 28c at the minimum.

I had some, but they creep me out as adults haha. Hated hearing them scuttling around in their tub when i wanted to go to sleep.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
@kooky my Dubai matured when oil prices went crazy, and it was found out that place is an oil ocean. Now its these princes throwing lamborghinis around like they're model cars.