• H.lividum 1/2"

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • P.regalis 1/2"

Votes: 13 48.1%

• Total voters

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi guys, I'm also getting some H.Lividum slings, bout the size TL is. I've read many caresheets but I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks.

Ps.
Can I breed them if they are bros and sisters?

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Originally posted by genious_gr
Hi guys, I'm also getting some H.Lividum slings, bout the size TL is. I've read many caresheets but I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks.

Ps.
right now my lividum is a great eater, they are fast and love to burrow, the get pretty big i think 6-8" they grow pretty fast and are old world species.

Breeding bros and sisters is a dont, not sure why. its just what i heard, maybe CM or someone more exp then me will tell you! Hope this Helps!

James

TypeO-

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
right now my lividum is a great eater, they are fast and love to burrow, the get pretty big i think 6-8" they grow pretty fast and are old world species.
H. Lividums don't get quite that big, my adult female is around the 5-5.5" mark. They do grow fast though.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Honest opinion.
I'd tell you to go for the Lividum.
You have the Psalmopoeus. But let me tell ya when they get bigger they get feistier.
Our Psalmopoeus is like lightening. I want to get a few more Psalmopoeus because I love the species and now that I have experienced them I know what to expect from them.
I'd hold off on the Poke for a while. Just untill you have a few adults under your belt and can honestly say you can handle a big bitey aboreal.
I won;t even get a Poke yet. Though I do want a few. The twins Love them looks and want a few. But right now.
No.
We have two demons.
The cambridgi and the usambar.
And now a Blondi. Though it's a sling I know what to expect when it's older and prepared in advance for it's needs.
I know how exciting this hobby is.
I know how nice it is to have so many.
But right now your sitting on slings.
They Will get bigger, and as they get bigger so will the responsability that goes with them.
We have 20 T's now ranging from slings to adults.
Most are adults.
It only takes a second to get nailed, especialy as your moving down the feeding line and watering them and keeping up with what you have to do with them.
I would rather see you get your first T bite from something that's not really HOT.

Work on your bunch you have. grow your collection as You grow.
And don;t rush into something that you Might not be quite ready for YET.
You have plenty of time to get more later.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by genious_gr
Thanks.

Ps.
Genious,
Inbreeding siblings isn't possible. Males and females of a common brood are biologically timed to prevent inbreeding naturally. For instance, if you have a sibling m/f pair, the male will mature first (say for example at 2 years) but the female will not mature for a few more years (ex. at 6 years). By the time the female sibling does mature, the male is not only long past being virile, but will have most certainly passed on.
In the way of inbreeding a male offspring with a female parent, that may be possible but would quite likely lead to genetic defects. Overall, the idea of inbreeding is looked down upon (as is hybridizing). The only time it might even be considered would be in the case of a very rare or endangered sp to which a viable, non-sibling m/f pair can't be found to preserve the sp..

Hope that helps.

Atrax

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy
Honest opinion.
I'd tell you to go for the Lividum.
B]

Thanks Nixy! btw- i have 4 psalmopoeus- 3 cambridgei 2 slings 1 juvie and 1 sling irmnina
I also got the lividum!

Thanks,

James

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
James,
I aggree with CM. Rearing slings is a lot different than keeping adults. I would not get any poecilotheria unless your parents are going to be directly involved in helping you keep it. I personally don't think that a minor should keep any animal that may have a medically significant bite. This is only to protect you and our hobby. The media has a tendency to focus on the negative when it comes to keeping exotic animals. There are plenty of other T's out there that are just as beautiful as Poecilotheria. I'd try my hand at one of those if I were you.
Mike