now i know what fast is

pdrake

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just got 2 versicolors. everybody says how fast these are. now i know. wow.

also got two tiny chaco slings. pinhead crickets okay?

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ha ha .. fast is a versi most def. My little sling blew me away with its speed . But how beautiful are they ? Unreal ... Congrats !! best Of Luck !!! Pinheads are great for slings .. just make sure they get a good fill , Ive never had to injure a crick for my slings most are good hunters. Ive even used fruit flies for my slings !

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't know about versicolors but my usumbara and my H maculata are very very fast. I dread moving my P. murinus to a new enclosure!!

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
(grin) i remember when i first held my A. avic 3" at the pet store i purchased her from...

she was very calm and slow-moving, that is until the woman breathed on her. then she FLEW up my arm a bit, then FLEW back down. lol!

it was as swift as a snake strike. each time i jerked in surprise when she'd done it but that didn't seem to bother her at all. lol. now when i hold her i make sure there are NO breezes and that i move slowly and smoothly like when i hold my snakes. she is calm and sweet, her little legs reaching up towards the invisible leaves she so dearly longs to climb.

can you tell she's one of my favorites? =D

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
When I think of fast I think Stratopelma calceatum...I was holding a 3" sub-adult for a friend who wanted one and wouldn't be able to make it to the store before someone else grabbed it.

Anyway...I opened the its deli cup to pop in a cricket and the damn thing bolted for the cricket,snatched it out of my hand and was back in its little burrow before I reacted by pulling my hand away.

As I pulled my hand away in a flight reaction I had to laugh as the reaction was moot by that time I did it. :D

John
];')

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
makes you truly appreciate good aim eh? lol.

reminds me of the time i went to feed my very docile 3.5' albino desert banded cal king. (grin)

he has a fairly strong feeding response being a king but always waits patiently for me to toss in the rodents and then he enjoys play-stalking them for a bit. he'll approach them from over his hide, under his hide, in the substrate, and them BAM! they're dead of course...i don't feed live.

well, this particular day i was feeding him (with long tongs, always with tongs...18") and i opened his enclosure (sliding panel) and BAM! he shoots out, grabs the mouse from the tongs and shoots back in!

i kinda went, 'AH!' and jumped a few feet long after he was back in his hide...lol! i felt stupid let me tell you. (grin)

just like the only snake strike i've actually witnessed on myself was my amazon tree boa, the other guys were just too fast. i saw them tense and was like, 'uho, better...' and then the next thing i knew there was a ghostly feeling of pressure on my hand and i was already bleeding. very impressive really. :) nature makes some fast critters, what can i say!

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've found out just what "fast" means a few times now.

1) Handling my girlfriends psychotic B vagans, she startled it and it was off my arm and up my chest before I could blink.

2) First time I provoked my baby Usambara, it was in a 12"x12"x12" tank and it could get from the centre of the tank to the centre of the lid in under a second.

3) Went to handle my P irminia spiderling thinking it was my docile P cambridgei (the two are very similar as slings)
I touched it, it launched over my hand, jumped off onto my lap and fired a load of crap straight at me before I'd even realised what was happening.

You want to see fast, get a baby Avic on your arm and gently blow on it. Boy do they shift.

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LOL...I can't wait till I A.versicolor later this week....woot!!!