Now a few Rose questions..

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
First off...she's up the wall..the substrate IS rather damp...so I'll assume it's that for now...secondly...I don't know much about G.Rosea..do they web lots? Will they use a hide? I've constructed a nice rather natural looking cave/den...and she's about 2.5-3"..large crickets? superworms? and pinkies ok?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
All the food you mentioned is ok, eventhough pinkies are stinkies. Rather messy and only recommendable as an occasional treat (every 6 months or so).

Roseas will tend to sit in the open (if the substrate is dry, that is) and not bother with much.

They don't web much either. They just sit ;)

Yeah, dry up the substrate.

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sounds good...when she's off the glass I'll give her a nice flat rock to chill out on ;)

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
neither do I. besides all of the obvious reasons that we've heard in here, i don't even like listening to a mouse squealing in agony.
You can buy frozen pinkies. But crickets, roaches and superworms are usually enough.

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, I'm kinda shying away from the mouse thing...unless she gets like disgustingly big, I'll probly stick to the others.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
neither do I. besides all of the obvious reasons that we've heard in here, i don't even like listening to a mouse squealing in agony.
Ditto!! My brother used to pre-kill the rodents for my ball python (mostly because i didn't want to risk my python getting bit while constricting it's prey - i've seen that too many times at work.) Now i give her frozen rats; thawed out and all that. i can't even imagine having to watch, much less listen, to a mouse slowly die while being made a meal by one of my T's!!

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
g rosea info

I ain't no pro, but i have a g rosea myself for over a couple of months, I learned alot since then.
She used to climb glass, until I put some peat moss soil mix, now she has made a burrow underneath her ornamental log.
She has made a web welcome mat in front of her burrow, that doubles for her supper table.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Rosie's like dry subby, will use a hide every now and then. This is the setup for mine:

She uses the cork bark just to sit and show herself off :D She does use her hide also.
She has webbed a bit on the plant, and also a feeding mat but thats it. Nothing special.

I don't have a problem with feeding mice to bigger spiders, i have done in the past (not live, i bought them from a pet shop frozen, thawed them out n fed from tweezers) I've had no experience with a bad smell or mess... just take a bolus out as normal. I have only given a mouse once in about a year. They're high in calcium and too much of them can cause fangs to break off in moults.

Iggy22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My rosea rarely uses his hide. They make a LOT of webs sometimes. Whenever I take mine out, he is always webing EVERYTHING.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most of my rosies don't web much. All have hides offered, but they don't use them a lot, they like to sit on top of them and look around.
You should feed them roaches, crickets, and an occasional worm. (worms are high in fat) Rosies just aren't big enough to worry about feeding them anything with a spine.
A filled water dish, bone dry substrate, and a couple of crickets a week, make a happy rosie.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haha, if only I could say the same about mine. It hasn't eaten in a few weeks. {D
I'm sorry, Ryan, rosie fasts suck. The longest I ever heard of was 2 years, and the longest I've ever had was my male before his ultimate moult, 8 months. Good luck, and I hope your rosie starts eating soon.

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
a rosie question for me

My rosie has dug a burrow, everyone who talks about theirs say they just hang out on the substrate, how many have seen a rosie burrow, and how many have seen a rosie drink water (mine does)
The humidity is between 60 and 70, is that about right for a rosie?
The temp is between 70 and 80, is that about right?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My rosie has dug a burrow, everyone who talks about theirs say they just hang out on the substrate, how many have seen a rosie burrow, and how many have seen a rosie drink water (mine does)
The humidity is between 60 and 70, is that about right for a rosie?
The temp is between 70 and 80, is that about right?
Sometimes they burrow, it's not the most common but they can do it. Also, all living things have to drink water, they just drink rarely and we don't always see them do it. Here's mine--or rather, here's his bum.

The temperature is fine--if you're comfy, so is the spider (65-85F). The humidity's kind of high, but as long as you're not misting and the tank itself isn't wet, it doesn't matter. Humidity is absolutely irrelevant with rosehairs, they come from the driest place in the world.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a few that burrow. One sling that dug out enough to fit about ten of him/her in there. And my mature female will burrow and then never use the burrow. A week later she will fill it in digging else where. I almost think sometimes she just digs for no reason.
There has been twice in the past months that she has moved almost the entire floor from one end to the other. But she didn't attempt a burrow, She just moved all the dirt into a big pile. And then sits on top of it all the time.
Ive only seen my adult rosea in the water dish once. Most of the time she just sets with her front legs in the water. I have seven rosea slings and they sometimes hold their food down in the water and make a very slimy little ball out of it as they are eating it.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'd say lower the humidity for that rosie Chilean. It's too high. Keep it on dry substrate with a water bowl. No misting required.

Azza

Arachnopeon
Humidity is absolutely irrelevant with rosehairs, they come from the driest place in the world.
Correction:2nd driest place, Antartica's Dry Valley region hasn't seen Rain for over 2,000 years, The Attacama Desert (Chile) hasn't seen rain for a MERE 400 years... Just a quite Interesting fact...

Azza